Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you allow your child to have plastic surgery?

Posted by   + Show Post

A 16 year old girl is having a face lift to help correct a disfigurement left by a genetic condition.

Although the facelift is to fix the disfigurement, it has caused a bit of controversy about somone so young having 'unnecessary' cosmetic surgery.

Would you allow your child to have cosmetic surgery in any instance?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Replies (71-80):
Kaila1995
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The only way I would is if she has some disfigurement that causes her to feel not like the other children physically. Everyone should be unique, but not at the expense of his or her self esteem.

Kaila1995
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting DaStormyOne1972:

never. the child is not finish growing and you are tampering with. in my opinion, she is a bad parent and the child needs to be removed from her care

She isn't a bad parent. She would be a bad parent if she was doing it cause "oh, my butts too big!" Or "I need bigger boobs." Or " I'm fat, I need liposuction!" She's not doing it for those reasons. Her child is disfigured cause of genetics. I believe every child should experience a small amount of bullying to make them tougher, but not because of a physical disfigurement. 

lucky7955
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

No, not at all sarcasmI feel children are not old enough to realize the reality of surgery. I wouldn't even allow my teenage boys to have peircings until they were grown. Once they were grown, they didn't want a peircing and thanked me for not allowing them to do so.. I can't even imagine plastic surgery being a topic of conversation in my household.

TinaCoram
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I would for medical reasons only. Children are often cruel. Why make them go through being teased if it could be helped.

Quoting GleeFan:

A 16 year old girl is having a face lift to help correct a disfigurement left by a genetic condition.

Although the facelift is to fix the disfigurement, it has caused a bit of controversy about somone so young having 'unnecessary' cosmetic surgery.

Would you allow your child to have cosmetic surgery in any instance?

boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

My mom was going to let me have surgery on my mouth when I was in the 6th grade. I had stitches put in when I was 6 and they weren't done right so one part of my mouth is fatter than the other. I later decided not to do it, but she was supportive because she knew how much it bothered me and it wasn't really a complicated procedure. As far as my daughter, it would depend on the procedure and why she wanted it done. For disfigurement, probably. Just because they don't like their nose? No

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
A nose job because (s)he thinks it's too big no. Boob job no. Lypo no. Something from an injury or in this case a genetic issue yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

IDK.  I think my kids are beautiful as they are and I would be more concern as to why they want to get plastic surgery than the actual procedure itself.

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

What part of "disfigurement" do people not understand?  It's NOT cosmetic if it's a genetic problem.  Geesh.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I can't believe people would disagree with a procedure to fix the girl's facial deformities!

Jesus, maybe they'd like to live with a disfiguring condition for a little while!

I would let her have cosmetic surgery in this case or even if it was just that she hated her nose. I mean, if she's being ridiculous and she's really pretty as she is, I would say no. But if her complaints about her features are based in reality, I would allow it. Fortunately my kids have good genes and won't need any surgical assistance. They're gorgeous!

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That's a tough one I would say heck no, but I really think it would depend on the situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)