Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What is your thermostat set to?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 29 Replies

It is so hot here in Texas! I have had to turn down the A/C to keep it cool enough so that we are not miserable!

Unfortunately, when I received my electricity bill yesterday, it definitely reflects that.  :(

Do you have your A/C or fans going? What temperature are they set to? Have you had to deal with high power bills yet?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM

No AC here.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I remember you said you live in Dallas. I live in Fort Worth, so I understand how hot it is.

We have the air conditioner, and fans going. Our bills haven't been to bad yet, but I suspect the July and August ones will make quite a dent in the checkbook.

Right now at 9am it is 82* with a high of 99*. sigh, it is hot!

Quoting Reina13:

It is so hot here in Texas! I have had to turn down the A/C to keep it cool enough so that we are not miserable!

Unfortunately, when I received my electricity bill yesterday, it definitely reflects that.  :(

Do you have your A/C or fans going? What temperature are they set to? Have you had to deal with high power bills yet?

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

set to 82*.  But it's really sticky feeling right now.  I think I'm going to lower it.  And mop the kitchen floor lol.

whoodathunk
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I keep mine set at 78 or 77 with the fans going.  We're in NJ.  it's muggy and high of 99 today.

cindilou13
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I personally can't stand being hot!  There are a lot of things I would go without before I would go with out A/C if given the option! 

I keep our thermostat set at 68 degress all summer!  The first time it feels hot in the house it goes on, and it doesn't go off till it's reliably cooler in the fall. And at night in our bedroom, I also keep the ceiling fan on low most of the time and higher if needed.  So far (knock on wood) this summer hasn't been bad, but our last two years were soooooo hot  & dry but humid here in Indiana...with temps over 100 and averages in the 90's...there were times I would still be hot at night with it that low and the fan on high. We never open windows-we live in a crowded addition and can't stand the noise and lack of privacy-but even when we lived elsewhere I don't like the windows open-too much noise and too hot for me! 

In our house the a/c even set that low isn't the biggest expense, it's the heat in the winter (because it's electric heat which I HATE!).  Anyway though to help overall, we are on the electric company's budget billing plan where you pay an average over 11 months and then catch up or get a refund the 12th month.  And we keep the heat set at 64 at night and 66 during the day in the winter, so it all balances out pretty well for the year-we usually get a refund on that 12th month.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

OH wow! 99* and humid! That sounds miserable..lol

I keep mine set at 78 or 77 with the fans going.  We're in NJ.  it's muggy and high of 99 today.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I am the same way. I would do without a lot of things before I did without an air conditioner.

I keep ours on 73* all summer long.

I personally can't stand being hot!  There are a lot of things I would go without before I would go with out A/C if given the option! 

I keep our thermostat set at 68 degress all summer!  The first time it feels hot in the house it goes on, and it doesn't go off till it's reliably cooler in the fall. And at night in our bedroom, I also keep the ceiling fan on low most of the time and higher if needed.  So far (knock on wood) this summer hasn't been bad, but our last two years were soooooo hot  & dry but humid here in Indiana...with temps over 100 and averages in the 90's...there were times I would still be hot at night with it that low and the fan on high. We never open windows-we live in a crowded addition and can't stand the noise and lack of privacy-but even when we lived elsewhere I don't like the windows open-too much noise and too hot for me! 

In our house the a/c even set that low isn't the biggest expense, it's the heat in the winter (because it's electric heat which I HATE!).  Anyway though to help overall, we are on the electric company's budget billing plan where you pay an average over 11 months and then catch up or get a refund the 12th month.  And we keep the heat set at 64 at night and 66 during the day in the winter, so it all balances out pretty well for the year-we usually get a refund on that 12th month.

Des10ed2b
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

currently ours is set at 76, i believe. here in kansas we have been bouncing around from the 82-92 range, so it isnt that bad. i dont even think it is kicking on a good deal of the time. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Same here in arizona reina13. we have our AC at 80 during the day. i turn it to 75 at night. but sometimes i get hot flashes and just feel so stuffy, and turn it to 70. i have a very low body temp. its easy for me to feel too hot. 

Our bill has been 200 the last few months, :( for a small 2 bedroom house. (only about 1200sqft or so) 

We have to do it though. so i cut bills in other areas to make up for it. Its trying to break the 120* barrier th is week. so i had to do something! 

MJP76
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Right now? 78

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN