Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you have a will?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 23 Replies

My husband and I have never gotten a will or any other legalities like that. Do you have a will? What is in it (not specifically). What other legal things do you have? Do you have "godparents" or something in your will stating who will care for your children should something happen to you (and spouse)? What if you don't have anyone you's trust your kids to? Where do you file this type of peperwork, with a lawyer or online etc?

Not a subject i think anyone likes to discuss.

Thanks

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumamy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We wrote one recently to get certified.
It includes what we want to happen to posesions, if we want to be burried, cremated etc
Who gets our children and failing that who is next inline. It states that we dont want it to be disputed in court by family or friends.
It includes details of bank names we hold accounts with, super fund names and ages we want money held to be given to our children at.
We have discussed it in more detail with the 2 couples who are meant to have our children and they know our wishes for religion, schooling etc.

SAHM2011
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM

DH and I don't have one. He does have his life insurance through work that he's already set up. As well as in the case that something happens to both of us my dad will be the one to recieve the money and divide it between the kids. 

A will is never something that anyone wants to talk about. I've not really thought of it too much myself at the moment. But in the long run it's something that is good to have. 

TheDoctorsWife
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM

No, but I should

sgillen
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

We just did ours last week. We are going on a weekend trip without DD and will be flying so we felt we should be cautious and write down what would happen to DD. We are still young and don't have anything to really put in our will but we made it so there would be no questions as to where our daughter would be.

sgillen
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Oh and every state is different, some require for your will to be notorized, our state doesn't. Only required two witnesses. You don't have to go through a lawyer, but if your will is going to be extensive, it might be a good idea.

Knightquester
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yes, but we have to amend ours since the childrens godfather recently passed away.  I want to ensure that there is no question that the children should still be allowed to be raised by their godmother, even though she is single now.

The best thing to do is to file the paperwork through your lawyer and have him execute your wishes, however if you can't afford an executor of your estate and will, then you can go a cheaper route, but you do risk the chance that it not being taken as seriously.

I couldn't afford a lawyer and all that, so we did our will through Legal Zoom  http://www.legalzoom.com/ and had it notarized.  My husband and I also hand wrote a letter to each of our family explaining our wishes that we placed with our will.  We've informed both sides of our family and hopefully since we made it so well known, there won't be any questions as to what our wishes were before passing if we ever did.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I do have one written up but I never had it made legal because I may change a couple things. I think if I died even if I had a legal will there would still be people going to court for various things so I didn't put it high up on my priority list.

momof3jam
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM

From what I gather, the role of a god parent isn't to care for your children in the event something happens to you. Their role is to bring your child up (with you) with God and that lifestyle. In your will, it says who you'd like your children to be with (godparent or not), and a secondary and sometimes more, in case something happens to them or they don't want that responsibility etc.

My children aren't going to be with their godparents if something happens to DH and I. They will be going with my uncle. He's the only one that has the financial stability and responsible enough to care for them and handle the money I'd leave to them.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

No, but I should.

JodyLane555
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM
what if you dont have anyone you would want to raise your children? my kids are 7 and 17. if my oldest was physically and financially able of course wed want her to take custody but who knows and then what? my dh has no relatives he speaks to his parents are long gone. my mom is too old and my brothers are jerks. unfortuately we do not have any close friends either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN