Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

An oddity...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 7 Replies
Can a toddler have a recurring nightmare?
If so, if he obviously can't tell me clearly or even start explaining... How can I help?
For three nights now, i've been awakened by he YELLING " no!! No!! Nonono! His hair is wet from sweat. I can soothe him like any other nightmare, but how can a not quite three year d be having a recurring nightmare ?

I just always thought recurring dreams were based on something in life one needs to fix or a concept you couldn't get a handle on ( I started having one about being in one if the house of mirrors after an uncle died at age seven and once I understood death, it stopped)

But, my little guy? His biggest worry is if he'll get to watch Dora!

Can I help him " not" have it? Any extra thing I can do or say extra before lights out?
I'm at a loss,but I can tell by the intervals and tone it's the same dream.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SlapItHigh
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM
It could be night terrors.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Crap! I thought we were over those ! :-/
Thanks you I guess I'll just keep on keeping on
hockey21
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM

How old is your child??  does he have little cousins or playmates that tell him about 'scary' things like the 'boogie-man/ monsters/etc??, my niece is 3and her other cousins and brother would scare her ..telling her the 'boogey-man' was in her room, this since then stopped as the other children had time-out and scolded...she dont had the 'nightmares anymore, this went on for 6 months  good luck....

I would occupy his mind before bed time with things like a favorite story or his favorite toys /stuffed animal  go to sleep all together..I would get a nite light for him  good luck

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
He'll be three in August. He has a 14 yr old brother who is nothing but kind and a fun playmate. He does get worked up over the plights of the tinkerbell movies :-) but no cousins or playmates to tell him stories.... In fact the ONLY horrendous thing was he walked in while we were watching Criminal Minds and he saw a snippet before we could change the channel :-/
We read fun books, safe books like one called " no matter what" dealing with " will mom always be there?" And the fun books like lift the flaps. Sometimes big bro comes to listen, too.

I know their imagination take off at this time but a) I don't want the habit of me sleeping with him to stick and b)he and I in his twin bed is a very tight fit!

Quoting hockey21:

How old is your child??  does he have little cousins or playmates that tell him about 'scary' things like the 'boogie-man/ monsters/etc??, my niece is 3and her other cousins and brother would scare her ..telling her the 'boogey-man' was in her room, this since then stopped as the other children had time-out and scolded...she dont had the 'nightmares anymore, this went on for 6 months  good luck....

I would occupy his mind before bed time with things like a favorite story or his favorite toys /stuffed animal  go to sleep all together..I would get a nite light for him  good luck

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I'm sorry, my only advice is talk to his doctor, try a warm bath before bed and use some lavender baby wash or lotion, try reading a funny story before bed or tell funny jokes. Idk, I never had to deal with nightmares.

hockey21
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

awww..poor little guy....it is scary for a child at that age...I think the story books are good, maybe make a story up  something like " a little boy was flying a colorful kite to the sky,  or something like the fire truck is red and,the fireman boots are big..etc....give more to think about, maybe how to make a castle with the sand.....this is a differnt senario but one time my daughter 2 was being a little naughty,and in order to get her to calm down I told her if she was a good girl we would make a sand castle in the yard...she thought about it and calmed down, the next day she reminded me and we did it  it works if you give them some mind imagination 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

My thought exactly.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

It could be night terrors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)