Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Think Mothers Should Avoid "Dangerous" Jobs?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 4 Replies

Cirque de Soleil Accident Kills Young Mother of 2 in Front of a Terrified Audience

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Cirque de SoleilA 31-year-old Cirque de Soleil performer and mother of two has fallen 50 feet to her death during the finale of a show called Ka at the Las Vegas MGM Grand. At first audience members thought Sarah "Sassoon" Guyard's fall was part of the show until they heard screaming, groaning, and someone sobbing. It's just such an unbelievably shocking tragedy.

Cirque de Soleil performances may seem death defying and dangerous when you see them. After all, acrobats twirling on ribbons high above your head, swinging around, and contorting their bodies with nothing but hands and a bit of wire holding them up SEEM to be performing shocking, death-tempting acts. But, in fact, the show has never had a death in its 30 years of existence. Until now.

It's hard to imagine what that audience must have felt and even more hard to imagine the comments some self righteous people have been making about the mother of two young children.

It has been suggested (in comments sections) that perhaps her job was too dangerous and that she was somehow at risk for this. That is just hogwash and such a judgmental (and wrong) thing to say. Do people blame firefighters or police officers killed in the line of duty who also happen to be parents?

The reality is she was performing a carefully choreographed routine that she probably had been performing for years. This was something she had trained for decades to do and it is no more dangerous than anything else done by well-trained and practiced professionals.

This is a tragedy, plain and simple. If there is anyone to blame, let's blame those who did not keep the wires safe enough. Some speculation is that her foot slipped out of the wire. That should not have happened.

Freak accidents happen on any job. People fall into meat grinders or slip and hit their heads on factory floors. Just because Guyard's line of work was performing arts does not mean she was inviting this to happen.

This is a senseless, horrible tragedy and filling it with platitudes like "she died doing what she loved" won't help, either. She did die doing what she loved, but it could have (and should have) been prevented. My heart goes out to her family and I hope that people will remember them when making online comments and remember that this job is no more dangerous than many others people perform every day.

Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM
It sounds like just a tragic accident. I think if every parent avoided dangerous jobs we'd have no police force, no fire fighters, the world would be in a worse place than it already is.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

What a horrible accident! My heart goes out to her family as in any other accident.

Sister_Someone
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM

While that's a horrible, tragic accident, it doesn't stop being just that. An accident. 

Newsflash, shit happens. Besides, how do you even define a "dangerous" job? You could be sitting behind a desk filing papers all day long and get killed when you're trying to reach a binder on a high shelf and the whole thing collapses right on your head.

diamondgirl18
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I think that, to a large extent, it depends on your personality. I have to fly for my work and I get very anxious about it as I don't feel safe flying anymore. However, I know that I have to contribute to my household income so I don't really have a choice.

That said, I don't think that I would want to be a front-line journalist right now in Egypt as it's so dangerous there. Having kids makes you aware of your vulnerability, mortality and the fragility of it all. I sometimes realize just how anxious I have become since having kids. My kids are now all teenagers and I feel that the world is a more dangerous place now than ever before. I brought them into the world and I pray each day that G-d keeps me here long enough to look after them until they have 'launched' their own life and careers. So I try not to do things which are obviously dangerous, but then again, isn't everything potentially dangerous these days? We just have to do the best we can do and try and earn an honest living doing what we do best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN