Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a convicted sex offender get full custody of his child?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 47 Replies

The Stir has an article about a mom who lost custody of her 6 year old daughter to a registered sex offender. The sex offender is the girls biological father and the womans ex-husband. He did serve his time BUT he went to prison for assaulting his 6 YEAR OLD step daughter.

The author suggests that the mom should take her child and run rather than turning her over to a convicted pedophile.

What do you think? Do you think it is safe to give give full custody to a convicted sex offender?

If you were in that situation, would you turn your child over or run? 

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleeFan
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Wow, I read that article linked and I cannot believe a judge would allow that.

I understand doing your time, but he is a registered sex offender for a reason. If he was around other children, wouldn't that be a violation of his probation, assuming he is on probation, so why is this different? 

I have to say, that if it meant keeping my child safe, then yes, I would refuse to turn my child over and in extreme cirmcumstances, run.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Is the judge that stupid?

FootballFan12
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM
2 moms liked this

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. That judge has issues I think.

I would not be handing over my child, I would immediately appeal the judges decision.

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Eek. Not sure about that.
youdontdefineme
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM
5 moms liked this

I would run and run fast. I wouldn't let a sex offender have my daughter! No way in heck!

shortnsweet53
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
No! And h__l no! I was sexually abused by my father and it took me years to come to terms with it. No child should be subjected to even the possibility of sexual abuse. No sex offender should be allowed custody of a child if he/she has a history of molesting a child.
dreamalong
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM
4 moms liked this

First, I would be concerned about a mom losing custidy; losing custidy must mean the mom has many, many problems, as it is very, very rare for a mother to lose custidy.  I am concerned that the mother lost custidy.  It seems as if the child would be better off in a foster home!

AnaFulghum
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

If he assulted his 6 year old step daughter, then I would try to show that he is unfit, and place her with someone else, such as grandparents or aunts/uncles, ect. But I wouldn't turn her over for the fact he has no problem assulting his 6 year old step daughter.....

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

The article stated that  the mother was refusing his visitation rights so the judge removed the little girl completely from the mother and granted full custody to the father. It never said anything about the mother being unfit or anything like that, so I don't know. 

Quoting dreamalong:

First, I would be concerned about a mom losing custidy; losing custidy must mean the mom has many, many problems, as it is very, very rare for a mother to lose custidy.  I am concerned that the mother lost custidy.  It seems as if the child would be better off in a foster home!

mainecasey1
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this
That's horrible! The judge should be disbarred for making such an irresponsible decision. Placing that child wth a known pedofile is like dangling a pork chop in front of a dog. It should never have happened. The mother should fight it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)