Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should a convicted sex offender get full custody of his child?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Stir has an article about a mom who lost custody of her 6 year old daughter to a registered sex offender. The sex offender is the girls biological father and the womans ex-husband. He did serve his time BUT he went to prison for assaulting his 6 YEAR OLD step daughter.

The author suggests that the mom should take her child and run rather than turning her over to a convicted pedophile.

What do you think? Do you think it is safe to give give full custody to a convicted sex offender?

If you were in that situation, would you turn your child over or run? 

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jennyanne322
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
The mom has to be pretty fucked up to have lost the child in the first place. The judge might feel that the dad is better then say foster care.
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM

That is just messed up.

thea11101981
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Id run :(
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I agree, there has to be a better option than this. To me, this is a classic case of the system failing. 

Quoting mainecasey1:

That's horrible! The judge should be disbarred for making such an irresponsible decision. Placing that child wth a known pedofile is like dangling a pork chop in front of a dog. It should never have happened. The mother should fight it.

lady-nicholson
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM
no way!!!!!!....parents alawys have rights to see their children yeah.. but when they're sex offenders ... they shouldn't even be round normal an sane adults let alone children
nanarose501
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM

What an awful situation!  Unfortunately we don't have all the facts, like why a judge would not give custody to the mom?  If the mom is not in a bad situation with drugs, neglect of her daughter,etc. then the judge's decision certainly seems WRONG!  If I personally was in that situation, I would get in touch with someone who assists mother's with this problem and helps them "run"!  I would do anything to protect my child!

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

WTF did the mom do that they would even consider the convicted sex offender getting full custody? Need to go read the article.. 

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Hmm... so the guy did this back in the 90s? That means the mom must not have cared much about it if she chose to marry him and have a child with him. I wonder if he saw the child at all from the time she was born? Seems sort of crazy they would just uproot the child if she had always been with her mother. It sounds like a messed up situation all the way around. :(

hockey21
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM

What court is this?? what judge??  is  he  NUTS???, how can you grant a sex-offended a child just because that is his legal child??  what was he doing with her before?? time in prison didnt cure his sick mind...I can bet he will continue his sick trait on this child if he is given custody...this is SICK...!  the guy need MEDICAL ATTENTION

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

What is this world coming to? This is one of the most disturbing things I have ever read. I understand they are trying to shift custody so that mothers are not favored but this is just outrageous!!!

All though, I shouldn't be too shocked there is a child in my family who still has to go to visitation with the man who molested her and the mom was almost sentenced to jail time for trying to keep the child away from him. Instead, he was given make-up time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN