Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should a convicted sex offender get full custody of his child?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Stir has an article about a mom who lost custody of her 6 year old daughter to a registered sex offender. The sex offender is the girls biological father and the womans ex-husband. He did serve his time BUT he went to prison for assaulting his 6 YEAR OLD step daughter.

The author suggests that the mom should take her child and run rather than turning her over to a convicted pedophile.

What do you think? Do you think it is safe to give give full custody to a convicted sex offender?

If you were in that situation, would you turn your child over or run? 

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I would run like hell. Sex offenders cannot be rehabbed, and its my job to keep my kid safe. That means NOT handing her over to someone who likes to fondle little girls her age.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I read it to.That was just stupid.He raped his stepdaughter what makes the judge think he won't do it to his own child? No sex offender should ever be allowed to have custody of their own kids,they should never be around kids again.
If that was me I would run,cos protecting my own child is more important then what a stupid ass judge has to say!
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Usually it takes a lot for a child to be taken from a mother by the courts. If the mother wasn't fit, then the child should have been given to a trusted relative but never, never turned over to a registered sex offender, father or not. What does this say of our court system that they would subject a child to continued abuse.


by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I'm sorry, but I think he shouldn't have custody
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I think I'd run...

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM


by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to know why the mother lost custody in the first place of the child that the judge found that the father was a better fit.  That makes my stomach turn. That poor child :(

However if I was in that situation, I would of .immediately have put a restraining order on the father/ ex husband for my child/ and myself.  I would never turn my child over, I would request my child be put in the custody of a family member if he or I could not have her.  I would also appeal the judges discision, depending on the child age I believe he/she should have an opinion, if she did want to see her father, then I would opt for supervised visitation for them. 

However I would do everything and or anything to keep my son safe and happy.  I would not want to run but if that was my only options, my bags would already be packed.  I will keep this child in my prayers.

by on May. 22, 2014 at 6:17 AM

Absolutely not! That child is at high risk of being his victim again. She is not safe with him and I coubt she ever will be. What a horrible life for that poor child!

by on May. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Absolutely NOT!  I cannot believe the court did that!  Find a lawyer and start appealing immediately.  How could they give custody back to the man who hurt her?

by on May. 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Flee the country!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN