Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should adult children be required to visit their elderly parents?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: Should adult children be required to visit their elderly parents?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I read about China's new law forcing children to visit, or at least keep in touch, with their elderly parents.

The new law gives parents the power to apply for mediation or bring a case to court, but experts are unclear about how the measures will be enforced, or how often visits are required.

What do you think about this?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM
3 moms liked this

No. Usually if they do not visit and keep in touch there is a good reason for it. If they have a strong bond and really love them they woud not need to be forced to keep in touch with them.

22donnas
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

i donot think they should be required to. i would think they would want to visit their parents.i know i would.it's according to the circumstance. i guess.

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Obviously, this is not going to happen here.  In china, there is wide-spread belief that you must treat your parents with respect no matter how awful they might be.  If parents treat their kids properly and do their job right then kids will want to visit and help them. 

GleeFan
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would want my children to visit me because they wanted to, not because they had to.

Knightquester
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Should the be required to, no.

If their parents have taken care of them and been good parents then they should be their for them.  Not all parents have been good and usually if they aren't being visited there is usually a good reason for that.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No. We're planning on leaving the country. I will not be flying back and forth to visit people.

NYMommy4505
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM
This country can't even get all parents to be involved in their own kids lives there is no way they could pull this off. There shouldn't have to be laws for this crap it should be common decency to respect your parents assuming they treate you right as a child
KRIZZ25
motherhood is not a race..u can't outdo one another..u go go ur own speed.
Today at 2:56 AM
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM
they shoulden,t be forced thy should wont to ..but some kids are fucked up ..
glitterrain
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

nope i do not have a relationship with my mother and honestly i will not be visiting her ever!

FootballFan12
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I would hope that at that age, my children would WANT to come see me because they enjoyed it, not because the government was forcing them to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)