Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should adult children be required to visit their elderly parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should adult children be required to visit their elderly parents?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I read about China's new law forcing children to visit, or at least keep in touch, with their elderly parents.

The new law gives parents the power to apply for mediation or bring a case to court, but experts are unclear about how the measures will be enforced, or how often visits are required.

What do you think about this?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Replies (21-29):
hockey21
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I think adult chidren aged 18+ should visit their elderly parents, you cant make them but they should go visit and spend time with them...as children grow up they do not really realize what the parents done for them during the childhood, everyone ( nost ) have 1 set of parents and when they pass on they are gone forever, you cant say what you never said, you cant do with them what you never did, its hard to loose a parent but more difficult to loose your 'mom' first because she gave 'birth'to you and you only have 1 mother....regardless of the age of the parents the crankiness, forgetfulness, you should always make time for them in their last years..cant bring them back when they are gone and you dont know what you'll miss once they are gone mine parents are both gone, I still miss my mom everyday..

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM

No

sunnysideof1962
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

i wish that my parents were here to vcisit, I took care of themwhen they were still here, and I find myself some times going down memory lane, I think of them often, the scripture teaches us that we should Honor our Mother and Father whihle on earth , so that our days upon earth shall be long, I truly believe this to be fact, I'm 51 and the Lord has blessed me with taking care of someone in my family ever since I was old enough to know how to, the Lord has given me a servants heart just like Jesus  thank you Lord for that

phoenixhuntress
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Unfortunately not everyone had or has a good relationship with their parents. Some of us are lucky enough to have great bonds with our parents while others don't. Adults are able to make decisions about their familial relationships without governmental interference. The elderly parents may want quite passionately to make amends but that shouldn't override how the adult child feels about the issue.
Sister_Someone
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell no. I wouldn't visit my own parents if you held a gun to my head. I'd just tell you to fire and get it done with. As for my own son, I can only hope I've been good enough a mom to him that he will want to visit me when he grows up, but if for whatever reason he doesn't, I wouldn't want him to be forced.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM
If a parent took proper care and nurtured the child , fed, and protected them, then absolutely the child should do the same for the parent. (although it's sad there has to be a law.)

But if a parent DID NOT do these things for their child during their formative years, I don't think an enstranged child should be forced to visit or take care if the parent.
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Adult children should be ENCOURAGED to visit & take care of elderly parents.  Not FORCED.  As long as the parents did a good job raising the kids, then the kids will probably want to take care of their parents.  If not, that looks poorly on them.  Forcing children to visit, though, creates resentment. 

thea11101981
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Nope
thea11101981
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Exactly

Quoting catevincesmom:

Adult children should be ENCOURAGED to visit & take care of elderly parents.  Not FORCED.  As long as the parents did a good job raising the kids, then the kids will probably want to take care of their parents.  If not, that looks poorly on them.  Forcing children to visit, though, creates resentment. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN