Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should adult children be required to visit their elderly parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should adult children be required to visit their elderly parents?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I read about China's new law forcing children to visit, or at least keep in touch, with their elderly parents.

The new law gives parents the power to apply for mediation or bring a case to court, but experts are unclear about how the measures will be enforced, or how often visits are required.

What do you think about this?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Same here!

Quoting GleeFan:

I would want my children to visit me because they wanted to, not because they had to.

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
No, not forced but it is the bare minimum in human decency.
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM

no because as pp said if people cut off contact with parents, there must be a good reason. some people are just toxic, the fact that they gave birth to you doesn't give them the right to be in your life regardless of how they treat you

happinessforyou
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

China is a different culture than the US. You can't force someone to care for their own kids and you can't force someone to care for their parents......

If my kids didn't want to visit me, I can only imagine how bad the visit would be if I had to force them legally. :(

nanarose501
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

First of all I think it is soooo sad that a law would have to be enacted to make sure chidren visit their elderly parents!  They should want to visit and give them as much care and love as possible!  These are their PARENTS after all!

Dewinter
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

It makes me wonder, if the parents had been abusers and the adult children had cut off contact. In comes the law and forced the kids to visit , are the police going to sit in on ALL the visits to make sure the adult kids are nice? What if the court forces visits and the adult "child" ends up attacking the parent due to the past abuse? Are the courts going to force the adult kids to allow their children to be abused at the hands of the grandparents?

Just a couple of questions that first popped in my head.

Dewinter
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Sad yes, but there are cases where the "parents" are horrible people and don't deserve to be allowed in their kids and grand kids lives.

As adults we each have the right to say who will and who will not be invovled in our lives.

Quoting nanarose501:

First of all I think it is soooo sad that a law would have to be enacted to make sure chidren visit their elderly parents!  They should want to visit and give them as much care and love as possible!  These are their PARENTS after all!

dancingthrulife
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

i have a 85 or year old grandmom..she is drama queen and is homebound and has trouble moving around her apt...so she doesnt get to go to the stores anymore...my mom never felt loved by her and even more now as a grown woman in her eary 60's..my mom was niot the best w me either. i wanna say some things to her. but i dont. i do feel bad for my grandmom sometimes..but than she will call me and be mean that i dont go here often enough for her..she wants me to go there and help her have a shower and clean her apt etc..but when i looked in to it so i could get paid something for gas cause she is 1/2 he away and my dh is now working two jobs to keep us afloat and i have 4 kids..she acted like i was nuts..she think everyone but her is rich..a few years ago she used to hint she wanted ppl to  take her out to lunch alot...so im on th fence w my mom seing my grandmom...i will have to come and help my mom too..and i will..

dancingthrulife
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

this is true...i dont thnk they will track down ppl who have lost touch and there was abuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Dewinter:

It makes me wonder, if the parents had been abusers and the adult children had cut off contact. In comes the law and forced the kids to visit , are the police going to sit in on ALL the visits to make sure the adult kids are nice? What if the court forces visits and the adult "child" ends up attacking the parent due to the past abuse? Are the courts going to force the adult kids to allow their children to be abused at the hands of the grandparents?

Just a couple of questions that first popped in my head.

AMY
BF mama to 4...Ivy-Rose 9 Arwinn 7 Lily-Anna 2 and Clara 10 months old. ~~~~~
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I agree.

I don't have a good relationship with either of my parents. The only reason we have any sort of relationship is because I have been very forgiving. Maybe things will be different when they are older. But, I don't think that is something that can be forced. 

Quoting FootballFan12:

I would hope that at that age, my children would WANT to come see me because they enjoyed it, not because the government was forcing them to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)