Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My mom is mad because I'm not making the potato salad

Posted by   + Show Post
We (my kids & I) were suppose to go to my parents for a cookout. She asked me to bring a potato salad that I made for Father's Day. Since a) Dad mentioned he might like it warm & b) she said not to come til 5 I was not going to make it til 3. BTW it's a loaded potato salad with bacon & cheese- I agree it would be good warm.

Well she just called & said she wasn't feeling good so we weren't having the cookout & could I just bring the salad over. I said if we aren't having it I'm not making it. I guess she thought it was already made. She threw a fit about it claiming she wanted to see the kids since she hadn't seen them in awhile (lie- we attend the same church as my parents every week)! Nice "guilt trip" huh! And to top it off I mentioned bringing a dessert as well & now I have all this stuff to make it & no reason other than "just because". PLUS she knew I had gone to the store yesterday & did not get food for tonight because of the cookout! Now I have to figure out if a store is open.

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-15):
CampClan
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

LOL No you sound like someone who didn't have all the facts- which would be my fault for not mentioning them in the OP. All is good.

Quoting splatz:

Oh... well now I sound like a jerk. Sorry! I was thinking like cold or stomach bug sick lol. 

Quoting CampClan:

She has diabetes & is on several different meds. Her doc put her on new ones that cause diarrhea. THAT is the "not feeling good". Not well enough for dad to cook hamburgers & microwave corndogs (for my 4yo) but well enough for my 5 kids to come run around her house.

And yes, she is one of those that like to complain. I mean I get she is ill but she has ALWAYS found things to complain about. She even has a "grudge" against a man at church who was seriously injured at work about 10 years ago & goes around in shorts all year long & not covering his injured leg. Yes, she thinks people don't want to see that at church. IMO I think it's an awesome testiment to his faith & confidence that God will someday heal him- whether he gets complete use of his leg while on this Earth or when we finally meet our Maker.

Quoting splatz:

If she is not feeling good why the heck would you want to bring your kids around her? lol 

I think sometimes people just look for an excuse to complain.

Bahamamama536
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I may be someone that don't have all the facts either so I apologize if I am jumping to conclusions...but for me who has a mom who sounds  a bit like your mom, with diabetes, complains a bit, but love having her grandkids around rain or shine, I would hop in my car and get whatever I can get for my mom!  My mom was ill the other day too, wanted me to buy her a special meal and plus bring my kids around.  WIth much pleasure, I drove that far store, got my kids ready and spent the day with her.  She was simply elated!  There are times when, life isn't just about you, it may be about someone else who probably just love how your cook, or love your beautiful kids....For me at times, it's about an old grumpy man (my dad) who never seems to have any money!!! lol....and so, I drop by often to give him so money only to hear him whine ...and guess what, I love that old man to pieces...he's the sweetest thing since slice bread...he's my Daddy-O!

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM
She might feel bad that your dad will be let down and it's all because she is not feeling well. Since she's not feeling well, I would cut her some slack. Sorry she made you feel bad! Hope you guys can work it out. I think giving to others is best whenever possible.
MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think she is being a wee bit selfish.  But on the other hand, QUIT BEING STINGY WITH THE POTATO SALAD!  ;)

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)