Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you have a good relationship with your parents?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 50 Replies

Im spending the long weekend with my parents. Yesterday during the 4th party my parents host every year, I was witness to a very uncomfortable situation with friends of our. The adult daughter (around my age) and her parents, apparently do not get along, which is something my mom did not know or else she probably wouldn't have invited them both. It made for an awkward situation being around them.

I started thinking about how lucky my sisters and I are that we have really good relationships with our parents.

Do you have a good relationship with your parents?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my.sonshine
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
No. My father and I have no relationship whatsoever. Its been that way my whole life. He was and angry abusive pos. My mom and I just can't get along. Ibe tried mending our relationship, but she just so full of it we never stay friendly for long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yes, with my mother I do. Unfortunately my dad is no longer alive.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Both my parents have passed away. I never had a good relationship with my Mother. My Dad and I got along great.

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Nope... not with either of them. My dad was never a part of my life growing up. My mom abandoned me for the first half of my childhood. Then when she decided it was convenient for her to be a parent she was pretty abusive. She was almost always drugged out. She chose her friends, lifestyle, and boyfriends over me. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Yeah, I guess I have a good relationship with my mom and my dad.

ZoeCY
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Yes I do.  

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM

We get along fairly well w/ my mom $ stepdad, as well as MIL.  My dad & stepmom live out of state, & we hardly communicate w/ 'em.  Kinda' lost touch a llittle over the years.

lizard3731
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I did, but they're both dead now.  I miss getting together with them for holidays.  We'd have cook outs for Memorial Day and Independence Day.

Squirrel1309
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM

My relationship with my mom is complicated, we get along well on her good days, but she's kind of unstable and on her bad days I can't deal with her. I get along well with my dad but I don't see him as often as I would like, he's at the mercy of his controlling girlfriend. My Mother in law is civil to me, she never wanted my husband to marry me but I got a few bonus points for providing her with a grandson. My father in law likes me but he's pretty self centered and was never much of a father to his kids so he doesn't have much contact with anyone. I've found that the family you choose and the family you make can be more supportive and more precious than the family that you were born to.

EmmaGlenn20
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My dad and I - yes
My mom and I - mostly...but she emotionally abused me as a child and it's a scar that will never go away. She denies it to this day so we just don't talk about it... 😔
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)