Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you have a good relationship with your parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Im spending the long weekend with my parents. Yesterday during the 4th party my parents host every year, I was witness to a very uncomfortable situation with friends of our. The adult daughter (around my age) and her parents, apparently do not get along, which is something my mom did not know or else she probably wouldn't have invited them both. It made for an awkward situation being around them.

I started thinking about how lucky my sisters and I are that we have really good relationships with our parents.

Do you have a good relationship with your parents?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
thea11101981
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM
My mother passed away when I was 13...my dad was an alcoholic drug addict womanizer who worked for an ass who only payed him when he pleased.. dad never took me in and since I wasn't a boy I wasn't a part of his life. My grandparents took over but grandpa was way too jealous of any friends that came over.. girls and boys! He always gave them the evil eye and they never came over after that. Grandma treats me like a child.. she found out that she has colon cancer but she decided to treat me like a child and keep me in the dark about it. I understand not knowing how to tell your family members about things like that but even my sister had the attitude of..."shh don't tell thea about this.. she can't take bad news very well" just what i'd imagine she would say...idk. I don't talk to any of them. I guess its because I'm a little sore of being called a child and of course I'm always a burden to them so I really don't say much to them anymore :(
MamaMoopsie
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Yes, I'm lucky to say that my parents and I have a great relationship. My parents have been married for 42 years and they are very supportive of me and we just have a great relationship. I love just sitting and talking with my mom. I love hanging out with my dad.

adi29
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I do with my mom for the most part,but I do not with my father.
EmmaGlenn20
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Without writing a novel? I was ignored when crying, laughed at, ignored when I asked for comfort, ridiculed constantly, humiliated. I was called fat. That's half of the story.

Quoting bmcandmmh:

Aw that's so sad. Can you expand. What exactly happened as a child?

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

My dad and I - yes

My mom and I - mostly...but she emotionally abused me as a child and it's a scar that will never go away. She denies it to this day so we just don't talk about it... 😔

mimimom139
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

My mother passed away 20 years ago and I really miss her. She was the glue that held our family together. Dad, on the other hand, is still around at 92. He's very self centered (always has been), so we mainly just tolerate him.

baileymarie723
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
For the most part yes, but I have my moments when I try to avoid them.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My mom really is one of my best friends my dad and I get along but he hasn't always been around so we don't really have that munch of relationship it's getting better he's great with dd
rellasmommy
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

My dad left when I was a baby, my mom is mentally ill.  no :(

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM

It's ok.  We just went on vacation together, along with my whole extended family.  Had a great time!

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

No, I have virtually no relationship with my father. My relationship with my mom is confusing it's strained but close at the same time. We are just total opposites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)