Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Birthday gift question!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 2 Replies

My husband will think I'm crazy for thinking about this, but I do because I have kids. 

We are invited to 3 (yes, three) birthday parties on the same day. One of those parties is for my mom-friend whose son is turning four. We've known the parents for a long time (10+ years), but we're not super tight with them. I've helped with the baby showers for both of their children and they have come to all of my kids' birthday parties as well. 

The four-year-old wants super hero stuff, but I know, as a mom, how much those toys can drive one crazy. I can give him something from my gift closet (Play-Doh, Hot Wheels, Crayola kits) or I can buy him something new. I would prefer something from the gift closet, because, honestly, I'm trying to clean the damn thing out. The kids from the other two parties probably will be getting something from the gift closet, but, because this party is for a child who we see a lot of the parents, I'm conflicted about whether or not to give him something out of the closet or to buy something new. 

Suggestions? Gift etiquette is big for me; I think my mother and aunts have ingrained it in me that you do the right thing. I'm just not sure what that is.

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I would buy a super hero toy for him.

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM

What about a cheapie super hero toy and then something from the gift closet? 

Or do a crayola kit and maybe a superhero notebook (depending on what kits you have). I see cute character stuff at the dollar store and Target's dollar spot pretty often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)