Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you explain to your child that their 'hero' is a criminial?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was reading about the jersey buy back program that the New England Patriots had this past weekend. In case you haven't been following it, one of their star players has been arrested for murder and being looked at in another murder from two years ago.

They released him from the team when he was arrested a few weeks ago and this past weekend, the team was allowing fans to return his jerseys and exchange them for other player jerseys.

As I was reading the article, one statement from a mother really got to me. Her 5 year old son was questioning why he had to give back his jersey, which was of his favorite player and was a Christmas gift. Because she felt he was too young to understand all the details of what is happening, she simply told him  that the jersey was too small and they had to get another one. I started thinking, what about when they get into the store and he wants ANOTHER Aaron  Hernandez jersey.

How would you explain to your child that their hero was an accused or convicted criminal?  What about when other celebrities that children idolize behave badly?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM
That's terrible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I read about that too btw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My dd knows the difference between right and wrong and she knows everyone is human. I haven't had to explain anything like that to her, she has told me when people she likes behave badly and that she doesn't agree with what they have done.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

What you would say to them would be according to their age.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Quoting Janet:

What you would say to them would be according to their age.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I agree that it depends on the age and maturity level of the child. 

STVUstudent
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM

at 5, he is old enough to understand that his "hero" did some bad stuff, and is not hero material... in my observation, kids this young will target a particular player because some grownup has first... if Aaron Hernandez is his hero and favorite player, odds are good that some adult he knows liked him first... 

I would just tell junior, matter of fact, that Aaron Hernandez was not being a good citizen, and therefore, he was not going to play anymore... so lets pick another player to be your favorite.  How about (player x)?  He volunteers with homeless children and is a really good citizen...

I know my kids at this age are learning about good citizenship in school and scouts... and part of good citizenship is following the law... so I would frame it in a citizenship light...  and I would do the same if it was a different celebrity as well... sorry, Mikey, but that hip-hop rapper is not using nice language, and is not behaving like a good citizen... we are not going to support him by buying his music or tee-shirts... 

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

At 5 I agree that he is old enough to understand that the guy did something bad.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I never thought of it this way. I think this is an excellent way to handle things.

Quoting STVUstudent:

at 5, he is old enough to understand that his "hero" did some bad stuff, and is not hero material... in my observation, kids this young will target a particular player because some grownup has first... if Aaron Hernandez is his hero and favorite player, odds are good that some adult he knows liked him first... 

I would just tell junior, matter of fact, that Aaron Hernandez was not being a good citizen, and therefore, he was not going to play anymore... so lets pick another player to be your favorite.  How about (player x)?  He volunteers with homeless children and is a really good citizen...

I know my kids at this age are learning about good citizenship in school and scouts... and part of good citizenship is following the law... so I would frame it in a citizenship light...  and I would do the same if it was a different celebrity as well... sorry, Mikey, but that hip-hop rapper is not using nice language, and is not behaving like a good citizen... we are not going to support him by buying his music or tee-shirts... 

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I'd just tell them as straight forward as possible with as few details as possible to satisfy their curiosity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN