Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is it EVER okay to leave kids in a car? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 48 Replies

I thought this was pretty much a cut and dry situation, but last week there was a Stir article about when it is okay to leave your kids in the car and Saturday, there was one about the mom who made her 5 yr old son hide under a towel in the car so she could go shopping.

So what is your take? Is it ever okay to leave a kid in the car? Does it depend on age, weather conditions, length of time you will be gone?  

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rellasmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it depends on age, and circumstances.  I think a 5 year old alone is unacceptable. 

serenazarate
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I think CHILDREN should never be left alone in a car alone. keep in mind that is from birth to about eleven. after that point when they are twelve they can get out of the car if it gets too hot and walk around or come find you, and they know stranger danger and wont let anyone in the car. leaving your child in a car alone is neglect, im sorry but it is.

jadedcynic
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Not in my state. Period. It gets way too hot too many months of the year.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM
My son is 6. I will, once in awhile, leave him in the car to run into 7-11 if they aren't busy. It takes 2 minutes and I can see the car the whole time. I've only done this once or twice.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM

No I don't think they should be left in the car.

Kchang05
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I would say definitely not until they're a teenager. Too dangerous! Especially when the weather is warm.
Onelovelymom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this
You should NEVER leave kids in the car your taking a big chance on CPS taking them or worse someone kid napping them and then what???? If there 15 and up if you can see them while you go in then maybe but like my daughter will never ever ever be alone in a car there are to many bad people out there and honestly I don't leave my son who is a teenager in the car there are bad people why take a risk?
adi29
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Quoting Onelovelymom:

You should NEVER leave kids in the car your taking a big chance on CPS taking them or worse someone kid napping them and then what???? If there 15 and up if you can see them while you go in then maybe but like my daughter will never ever ever be alone in a car there are to many bad people out there and honestly I don't leave my son who is a teenager in the car there are bad people why take a risk?

Onelovelymom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Takes a second to kidnap a child I wouldn't do it!!! You may say it would never happen to me but I've heard too many stories where it has and I've seen to many Situations where there is a baby or young child left in a car and there in the middle of a parking lot at Walmart you never know what might happen and in my state there are a lot of deaths due to people leaving them in the car and the die from heat. There are lots of people like you who say I'm watching and it's just for a minute and when you go to pay there gone. I love kids and I will stand up for them. I'm not trying to be mean I just worry for you and your children:-)

Quoting mom2ljh:

My son is 6. I will, once in awhile, leave him in the car to run into 7-11 if they aren't busy. It takes 2 minutes and I can see the car the whole time. I've only done this once or twice.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I never have and never will leave him alone in a car in a Wal Mart parking lot. I have never left him alone in an unlocked car. I have, on two occasions, left him in the locked car, in the 7-11 parking lot in front of the window at the end of our street at 6:30AM on a weekday morning to grab him a snack and juice for school. If they're busy he goes in because we are going to have to stand in line. Thankfully, they're never busy at 6:30 AM.

Quoting Onelovelymom:Takes a second to kidnap a child I wouldn't do it!!! You may say it would never happen to me but I've heard too many stories where it has and I've seen to many Situations where there is a baby or young child left in a car and there in the middle of a parking lot at Walmart you never know what might happen and in my state there are a lot of deaths due to people leaving them in the car and the die from heat. There are lots of people like you who say I'm watching and it's just for a minute and when you go to pay there gone. I love kids and I will stand up for them. I'm not trying to be mean I just worry for you and your children:-)

Quoting mom2ljh:My son is 6. I will, once in awhile, leave him in the car to run into 7-11 if they aren't busy. It takes 2 minutes and I can see the car the whole time. I've only done this once or twice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)