Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get rights taken away from my daughters father???

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Soo i want to get my daughters father's rights taken away from him hes in & out of jail and hasnt seen her since her first birthday and next month she will be 3 just a week ago i found out that hes in jail for 2nd degree sexual assault and i saw that he is a registered sex offender sick i know it was a one night thing between me and him and im glad it was nothing more... this is embarrassing for me since he just sickens me to even think about him only good thing that happened was i got my daughter out of it but anyways i wanted to know what all i have to do to get his rights taken away dont think it would be to hard i already have soul custody but he has resonable visitation i live in wisconsin i was just wonder what other people had to do and if it was difficult? Please dont say anything rude about it...

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Call a lawyer for a free consultation, then petition the court for full custody

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I would gather all of the evidence that you have against him (his arrests, convictions, sexual assaults, etc.), everything you can find on your own, then contact a lawyer who deals with custody cases and ask him/her about getting your daughter's father's rights revoked/severed on those grounds permanently.

Ask about his family's right to visitation, if he would be allowed to be there, etc.

Write down anything & everything that you can think of to ask, because even if these things aren't happening now (grandparent visitation), once you petition to have his rights severed/revoked permanently, the grandparents/family may try to do it out of spite, etc.

So be sure to have all of your bases covered.

I wish you & your daughter the best.


by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Being a sex offender now he won't get to see her alone. Getting his rights taken away isn't an easy thing to do.

by Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I would call a lawyer and ask their advice. Courts usually want both parents to be a part of childrens lives. So it may not be easy to just have his rights taken away.

Have you and him ever discussed him signing his rights away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

First of all i dont know what state you are in but here in Illinois the father has to sign his rights over.

by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Did he sign her birth certificate? Does he pay child support? If he hasn't seen her in 2 years time it is considered abandonment in the state of Wisconsin (I am also in Wisconsin), and it could make it a little easier to get what you want. My daughter's "sperm donor" is going to be going to prison soon for not paying his court ordered child support, and at that time I am going to see about my husband adopting my daughter. I would do what the other posts said and call a lawyer to see what needs to be done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)