Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

defamation of charector

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
The inlaws are still saying I killed my husband.is like they are planning to hold a meeting in my house to tell me that on the day that we are going to distribute my late husband's clothes.should I call the police or record all the conversation( accusations) and sue them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shaybay218
by Shayla on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Not sure but good Luck!

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I'm sorry you are going through this.
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I'm not sure I understand what is going on. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Since they just plan to go to your home and tell You what they think, I don't believe there is anything police can do. You could try to have them arrested for trespassing when they arrive on your property but beyond that, I don't know what more you could do.

Defamation, Libel and Slander

Generally speaking:

Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm.

Slander involves the making of defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral (spoken) representation.

Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a fixed or medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

The typical elements of a cause of action for defamation are:

1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
  2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party;
  3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
  4. Damage to the plaintiff.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Me either.

Quoting splatz:

msmabern
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM
The thing is;I live in South Africa.I had stillbirth on 12 may 2012 @ 39 weeks.I lost my husband this year 2013 in January he got sick and died the same month. we had sex 12 weeks after our stillbirth,now his family says he died because we had sex much more earlier we should have waited for 4 months and not 3 months or 12 weeks.they say sex before 4 months after stillbirth makes men sick. We went to the Dr @ our6 weeks check up and th dr said is ok for us to resume sex but because I sick because of stress/ depression we waited until I was ready that was 12 weeks later.

Quoting splatz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cindilou13
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

There is absolutely NO scientific correlation between the two things.  Whether you had sex or not after a stillbirth, has absolutely no affect on the man's health.  The only time having sex with a woman can contribute to a man's health is if she has an STD and transmits it to him, or perhaps someone has a weak heart and has a heart attack from the exertion or something. 

I understand you are in another country and I'm sure there are various traditions and strictures in the culture, and they may believe there is a correlation, but there is not.   Their beliefs are just that, beliefs, and have no scientific basis in this case.  If they start in on it I would just ask them to take what is theirs and leave.  I don't think legally there is enough to go on to sue.  I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the effort or money. 

msmabern
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM
The thing is;I live in South Africa.I had stillbirth on 12 may 2012 @ 39 weeks.I lost my husband this year 2013 in January he got sick and died the same month. we had sex 12 weeks after our stillbirth,now his family says he died because we had sex much more earlier we should have waited for 4 months and not 3 months or 12 weeks.they say sex before 4 months after stillbirth makes men sick. We went to the Dr @ our6 weeks check up and th dr said is ok for us to resume sex but because I sick because of stress/ depression we waited until I was ready that was 12 weeks later.

Quoting splatz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmabern
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Ok.thanks for the advice

Quoting cindilou13:

There is absolutely NO scientific correlation between the two things.  Whether you had sex or not after a stillbirth, has absolutely no affect on the man's health.  The only time having sex with a woman can contribute to a man's health is if she has an STD and transmits it to him, or perhaps someone has a weak heart and has a heart attack from the exertion or something. 

I understand you are in another country and I'm sure there are various traditions and strictures in the culture, and they may believe there is a correlation, but there is not.   Their beliefs are just that, beliefs, and have no scientific basis in this case.  If they start in on it I would just ask them to take what is theirs and leave.  I don't think legally there is enough to go on to sue.  I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the effort or money. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Me three.

Quoting Janet:

Me either.

Quoting splatz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)