Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong for wanting to be a teen?

So I'm 19 years old and my son is turing one soon, I got pregnant my senior year of high school so I didnt really get to be much of a teen. So is it bad that I want to be abvle to go and do things as a teen sometimes?

My son is always taken care of and has everything he needs; he is the number one priority in my life, I just feel like sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed and I need a break, so my grandma will take him for the weekend; some people dont think I should let that happen. I mean I dont ask every weekend and sometimes I wont ask her to babysit she'll call me because she wants to take him with her places, so it's not like I'm just trying to get rid of him. I love being a mom and just being with my lil man. I just feel exausted.

And sometimes when she has him I wont even go out or hang out with anyone, I'll stay home by myself and just rest and catch up on some sleep and just relax. But lately people have been judging me alot, about the things I say or how I act, or dress or anything. And it's mostly people that don't even know me. The nasty looks I get or the stares I get when I have my son on my hip in a store or something, I can see people whispering as I walk by.

I mean is it wrong for me to still be a teenager and take a break and relax?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kazmira222
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I'm 20 and my son is 6 mo. I had him at 19. I love taking him out and I never once have gotten a weird stare. :0 what makes you stand out so much? I act my normal self, hell I'm even a pot smoker lol I get where your comin from tho about wanting to be a "teen" I wanna party and drink and do dumb stuff! But I can't 😔 lol
unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Being how her son is less than a year old ... I think it is selfish and she asked for opinions on her situation, not yours.  :oD  We're all moms and we all do it in different ways, with different situations.  

Quoting chattycassie:

I guess I am just lucky my mom take my kids at least one weekend a mo to give me a break. I need that time to recharge and get myself re focused. I work full time and go to school part time. I NEED a break some days NOT at all selfish. IMO

Quoting unsuspected:

I had my oldest at 20. I became a full time mom, no weekends off.

To answer your question, is it wrong to "want to be a teen" ... yes, since you are soon to be out of the "teen" title & you are a mom. Yes, you are still an individual and you may need to recharge, but that's what bedtimes are for, and occasional babysitting. But full weekends off? "Sometimes", in the course of a year? No, I think that is selfish.

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I think if you focus on the quality of the time you are with him, that might help what other people say.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

There is nothing wrong with needing an occasional break from mommy hood!  I've always had the occaisonal Girls night out.  A break is a good thing

lucsch
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

It isn't wrong to want to take a break, but you aren't a typical teenager anymore. You have responsibilities. All of this is a direct consequence of your actions. It is time to grow up.

LilRed2130
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I dont know you but if you are comfortable with what you are doing don't let other people affect your life.

Monochromewillo
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM

If my family offered to take my kids for a weekend every now and again, I would totally do it. I'm also a SAHM. If I was working, I might feel differently. I don't know.

lazyd
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM

No, even "adults" need a break from time to time.  It has nothing to be with being a teen or wanting to be a teen.  Some times adults who are given a "break" act crazier than teens!

honeygram4
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

are people wispering about you, or just wispering. maybe you are over reacting? also, is your kid only in a diaper with a dirty face? those are the young people that  I will give nasty stares to! If your baby on your hip is clean, fed and healthy, don't worry about it!

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I dont wanna bash you or make you feel bad but you are an adult now. When you made the decision to become a full time adult and have sex, then that pretty much anwsers the question. Full weekends off? No... I could see if you had some time to yourself once in a while during the day but a weekend is a little too much. Im 30 and i have a 5yr old and 10 month old and i have never been away from them for a weekend. I suck it up. Not saying its wrong to need a break but i feel like they are my responsibility( in which they are) and i have to be there for them and put myself second. You are pretty much not a teenager whether you have a child or not. Your actions are what people see and thats why they talk. Not saying that you have bad actions because i dont know you but thats what people see in a person when they decide how to judge you. Be an adult that you are and hold your head up high and be the best you can be ;) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)