Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok my daughter just turned a year old this month and her temper is getting worse and worse.
She has been getting into a lot of stuff and doesn't always get her way. I will tell her "no" "stop" or "quit" and when I do she will scream at the top of her lungs. And she is getting to the point where she is pulling out hair when she is mad.
I don't know what to do. I've been gently smacking her hands when she does it and telling her "no".
Any advice? Any of your children do it? I'm so confused!
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this
At this age, it's best to redirect them along with a "no". They need a "yes" too. So say she's trying to grab something you don't want her to have, day no and then give her something she CAN have. If she's reaching towards and outlet, move her over to some toys. It's really hard for them b/c they can't do the vast majority of the things they want to do to learn the world around them. Also, they can't communicate in effective ways. It can help to teach them a little sign language until their verbal skills catch up.
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Say not day.
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with redirection. If she keeps pulling her hair out though, you should really talk to her doctor.

amonkeymom
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

She's screaming because she doesn't have any other way to express her disappointment at being told she can't have her way, totally normal.

Instead of smacking her hand, maybe when you take something away, give her something that is ok to play with.

Quoting SophiasMommie12:

Ok my daughter just turned a year old this month and her temper is getting worse and worse.
She has been getting into a lot of stuff and doesn't always get her way. I will tell her "no" "stop" or "quit" and when I do she will scream at the top of her lungs. And she is getting to the point where she is pulling out hair when she is mad.
I don't know what to do. I've been gently smacking her hands when she does it and telling her "no".
Any advice? Any of your children do it? I'm so confused!

njprincess13
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter Jordin used to smack her head against the kitchen floor when she threw a fit. The doctor told me when she throws a fit to hold her on my lap with her back to me. Hold her.arms down and pull her close to you and rock her. It soothes her but let's her no you are in charge. Hope all works out.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to her doctor about it.

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Its pretty normal at that age.. 

OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too. The hair pulling seems .... Odd.

Quoting Janet:

I would talk to her doctor about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youdontdefineme
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

What I did with my daughter was use "time out" method. It is repetitive but it works. Be consistent and DO NOT GIVE IN to her regardless unless he can't breathe or is bleeding to death! She must learn. She is one so put her on a chair her size somewhere in the house where she can be seen where you are. Keep the "time out chair" in the same spot however. Don't keep changing it on her. Put her in time out for one minute. She is one years old is why. It is one minute for each year that a child is. I warned my daughter ONCE first, if she didn't listen I took her calmly and without talking to her to time out. IT WORKED! YAYY! That was many years ago but the same objective applies. When your egg timer goes off (she will hear it and begin to realize) then go to her, get down to her level and explain simply (I mean she is only 1) but explain that what she did is not right to do and then tell her to apology to you, she cannot leave there until she does, but of course a big hug is appropriate/in a caring way from her if she doesn't talk. OK? that is what I did. I have NEVER EVER EVER smacked or hit my child. Ever! I just find it easiest to address her no matter what age and talk to her than to hit her, or slap her hands. But that is just me. My daughter is a wonderful 18 year old now, loves me - her momma and tells me alot how she appreciates me not hitting her like her dad used to do as a child. (she remembers) we have a great relationship and that entales being NON enabling, NON abusive and Hands on at all times. I am not saying you are abusive do not misunderstand me. You are frustrated and I get that ok mamma? I do understand. I just chose to do different and you can too. I think time out is best here. The earlier we start the easier it is I think. Just my opinion. Good luck to you and your family. :)

hockey21
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

yipes...she's only 1,  I have a 2yr old a she used to get into these 'fits'  ( like your daughter) ..I dont like to 'spank' but I did raise my voice for her to behave or she would go in the 'cranky chair' which was a punishment, I would put her in the chair tekk her not to come off or speak till she said she was sorry...she behaved after that quickly,,during this 'fit' she didnt get any toys/treats/ etc..  it worked   good luck  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)