Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If you live in an apartment....

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 28 Replies

How do you keep your electric bill low? 

We just moved into one and this is the first one that I have ever lived in.

So far this is what I do: 

Keep lights off and open blinds so that the sun light comes in. We have a very open apartment with alot of big windows. Right now we do not even have a light turned on through out the whole apartment and it looks very bright.

I keep the air turned up to around 72-75 degrees. 

I fill the washer up when I wash clothes. And try to wash clothes in off peak times. I have to use the dryer because we do not have a place for a drying rack. 

I wash dishes by hand. 

and try to do the obvious things. Any tips you can give me to keep it down??? Thanks :) 

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CamMa
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM
If your apartment is anything like our house, when you keep the curtains and blinds open, the ac has to work harder to keep it cool in there. We usually keep our curtains and blinds closed and one lamp on. Our bill's been lower than last year. I do one or two loads of laundry every other day and 3 loads one weekend day(bed stuff and towels). I've been trying to keep everything lower this year and so far, it seems to be working for the most part.
CamMa
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM
BUT, we live in Georgia and the sun and humidity are hell most summer days. That's why we have to keep our blinds shut. lol
momma2b2008
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I keep all doors and windows/ blinds and curtains shut during the day. One light on in the living room and every other light is shut off.
goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

If you live in a hot area you need to keep your curtains and blinds closed.  That will help block out the heat from the sun.  You spend way less to run a light in the room than to run the extra AC to overcome the heat radiating in through the windows.

livindeadgirl
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

lol I live in georgia to. 

Quoting CamMa:

BUT, we live in Georgia and the sun and humidity are hell most summer days. That's why we have to keep our blinds shut. lol

livindeadgirl
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM

ok I will try to keep the blinds pulled. I just hate to do it because it makes me feel all closed in. Some how it just feels alot more open when the blinds are open. 

goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Yes, it does feel more "closed off", but it definitely keeps it cooler when you block out the sun.

livindeadgirl
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM

well I will try it :) won't hurt to give it a go at least. 

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Yes, it does feel more "closed off", but it definitely keeps it cooler when you block out the sun.

goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Also, for drying clothes, you can just put things on hangers and hang them around your house (on your shower curtain rod, stick a spring rod in the doorway, etc).

Fordprefect
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

We're staying with my mom for the summer and she lives in the apartment. The AC is set at 78 and we run fans to help keep the temp stable. There is a room get sunlight from two different directions, so I put up that silver insulation stuff in the window and it helps keep the temp down. Blinds stay closed and laundry only gets washed on weekends when the cost of electric is lower, or before noon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN