Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are your parents very involved with your children?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 34 Replies

One of my best friends was really surprised this past weekend when my parents showed up to take my son out for the day. They live two hours away and decided to drive up and spend the day with my son.

She told me that her kids haven't seen their grandparents in several months and they only live a couple of miles away. Growing up, she said she never really spend time with her grandparents either.

How involved are your or your SO's parent's with your children?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MABmommy
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM
My mom is my day care provider. She sees my son 3-5 days a week. That's how it was for me when was young too. One of my grandmas was my care provider and we were very close.

I want to move out of state but I don't think I will until my mom is able to go with me.
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM
i live w my mom and she watches him while i work. she does most of his therapies w him. he sees my dad once a week or so. He sae my great grandparents 2x before my grandpa died and I hope to take him up that way again soon. they live 4.5hrs from here and I have to have time off work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

My in laws are not in our life at all. 

My parents were very involved in my sons life, when we moved away ( military ) But still still was from a far. Then we moved back & she was my after school watcher on days I didn't get off til he was old enough, etc. In summer, I tried to use summer camps. But she still would do stuff with him. Not so much like you described, but still would do stuff with him. 

slgilliam
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM

My daughter see my mother every couple months. She comes whenever she is able to visit. My father only lives about 2 hours away and he visit 1-2 times a week. My husband's mother lives out of state and she hasn't seen the baby yet. We are getting ready to go visit our mothers' side of the family. His father lives also lives out of state and I am not sure when we will be seeing him. We're also military so it depends on my husband's leave.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

My 2 grandson's live in Missouri and I live in Tennessee so I only get to see them atleast once a year maybe twice sometimes. I do talk with them on the phone all the time and skype alot. My parents have passed away.

Fordprefect
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Usually we don't live near family and the grandparents aren't very involved. My dad has never met my children at all. My mom will call on birthdays if she remembers, and once every couple of years she sends a box of things she'd been collecting for awhile. My mother in law sometimes calls on birthdays, and once sent one of my kids a birthday card with cash, but that's about it. My Oma (grandmother) has always been very involved. With me when  was little and now with my children. She sends boxes for every holiday, calls for all holidays and birthdays, occasionally we talk to her on FaceTime. She works in a department store and when outfits she loves go on sale she buys them. I've never had to buy my girls formal dresses, because my Oma sends several a year. She knows their favorite colors and characters and does her best to visit regardless of how far away we are.

LilRed2130
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM
My mother is very involved with my son when she can be. Once a month she takes him overnight so my DH and I can have some alone time. My mom would do more if she could but she works during the week.
MJP76
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Mine... Not so much.. My kids probably see my mother 9 or 10 times in a year, but only really spends time with them 3 or 4 times a year. She only lives 15 minutes away. My kids are 10 16 and 19 and they have seen my father 3 times their entire lives, he lives in WI.

my DHs parents are more involved. They live 7 hours away, but my kids spend almost the entire summer with them every year.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My mom is very involved.  She sees them several times per week. :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

My dd's grandma lives a block away, she's over there all the time. Growing up my grandparents lived right next door, so I was there every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN