Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are your parents very involved with your children?

Posted by   + Show Post

One of my best friends was really surprised this past weekend when my parents showed up to take my son out for the day. They live two hours away and decided to drive up and spend the day with my son.

She told me that her kids haven't seen their grandparents in several months and they only live a couple of miles away. Growing up, she said she never really spend time with her grandparents either.

How involved are your or your SO's parent's with your children?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM

They are not as involved as they used to be. I can't remember the last time either set of grandparents took my children. It's been quite awhile

NLBrown
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom and I live together, so she's with my daughter while I'm at work. She also takes her to and from school during the school year since she's retired. Her and my mini are really close. Plus she's learned a lot, like me, about ASD and the best approaches for helping and dealing with my daughter. We're also very close, so it's pretty cool. Like 2 and a half women lol
ZazaGoszzy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

If it were up to my mom, she'd try to take DS. Ds loves my father more than everyone he knows combined. My fil lives in a half way house in FL and my mil tries to see him as much as she can, but she is on oxygen and can't run after him like she used to.

justahousewife
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM
My aunt is like another gma to my kids. They spend nearly every Saturday with her unless we're doing something special. My mom not so much.
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Nope... they live out of state thankfully.

SO's parents are somewhat involved. They rarely take them for the day just for fun though. I think they have taken my son once or twice for a few hours.

alisheamonet33
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM

my father saw my kids everyday wyhen he got off of work and kept them every weekend before he passed away, five yrs ago my mother sees them abt four time a week she is getting ready to take them to va for a week in aug! frre week for me im not going to know how to act

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My parents are more involved than DH's parents. When DS has ball games my parents come whenever possible; DH's parents have only been to one game and it wasn't even really for him my niece was on the same team so it was really for her.

Diane1223
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

very involved! This is our first child, and she is 4 weeks old.  Plus, DH is a only child, and this is his parents first granchild.

bryanasmom2004
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My husbands mom is very involved with my daughter, my mother in law lives across town. She takes my daughter shopping all the time and spends time with her. My father in law she her 1 time a month. My parents live down the street and barely sees her very few months, she would talk to my mom on the phone once in awhile. My dad is an alcoholic and he is in his own little world.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My childrens grandparents are very involved! My parents and mil see them AT LEAST once a week if not much more! They are always doing something with or for them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)