Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very disobedient child

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 58 Replies

I live in a cul-de-sac. My 18 month old daughter always runs down the driveway and onto the sidewalk then down the sidewalk. Sometimes she even runs out in the street - thankfully we don't live on a busy street. It's like I turn around for a second to do something such as pick up a piece of chalk to play with her and when I turn my head back, she is 2 houses down the sidewalk. She doesn't even seem to care that I tell her or scream NO. Then when I chase her and try to hold her hand and make her walk back, she collapses on her butt and sometimes throws herself all the way back and screams. She is still in diapers so I have tried firmly (but not too hard) popping her bottom over the diaper but she seems to laugh at it. Does anyone have any advice for how I can get her to quit running from me?

Please don't bash me, help me. I do not abuse my child when I swat her behind and I do pay attention to her, she is just fast. I firmly tell her no and she ignores me. I know she can hear because she has ear tubes and has been tested because of that.

Thanks in advance.

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KW1280
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
6 moms liked this
It is a stage. They are learning their boundaries and you have to teach them right from wrong. She isn't disobedient just learning about the world around her. Stay consistent and keep teaching her hugs momma
LalasMommy1125
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM
8 moms liked this

Yes she is just pushing her boundaries. She may even think you guys are playing a game, which is why she is laughing. Stay firm and consistent. Remind her that running away is dangerous and that it is not ok. If she does it again grab her, tell her no and bring her back inside, no more play time for a few minutes. Do that every time and stay firm she will get it. As for her throwing herself around remember that she has her own emotions but not the vocabulary necessary to express herself so she may get frustrated. Stay strong :)

massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Thank you, it's just frusterating. I just don't know what to do because sometimes we go on walks and she is holding my hand and we walk down the street.. should I stop taking her on walks until she understands not to run away?

Quoting KW1280:

It is a stage. They are learning their boundaries and you have to teach them right from wrong. She isn't disobedient just learning about the world around her. Stay consistent and keep teaching her hugs momma

massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Thank you, it's just frusterating. I just don't know what to do because sometimes we go on walks and she is holding my hand and we walk down the street.. should I stop taking her on walks until she understands not to run away?

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Yes she is just pushing her boundaries. She may even think you guys are playing a game, which is why she is laughing. Stay firm and consistent. Remind her that running away is dangerous and that it is not ok. If she does it again grab her, tell her no and bring her back inside, no more play time for a few minutes. Do that every time and stay firm she will get it. As for her throwing herself around remember that she has her own emotions but not the vocabulary necessary to express herself so she may get frustrated. Stay strong :)

LalasMommy1125
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Still take walks. When she is behaving properly, holding your hand, not running away, etc praise her for her good behavior. That way she will want the positive reaction from you and continue the positive behavior.

Quoting massconfusion14:

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

KW1280
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't stop taking her for walks. Just be firm and reminding her that no means no. This is what I do, take a stroller and let her push the stroller if she runs put her in the stroller.

Quoting massconfusion14:

Quoting KW1280:

silverthreads
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

You might also get some locks that can be placed up high for the doors .  She is really too young to be punished for this.  She is testing her bounadies like others have said.  But you can certainly let her know it is not acceptable.  GL

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd was a runner too. I kept her in a fenced yard otherwise she was gone. Thankfully they do grow out of that stage.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Congrats! You have a normal 18 month old!

Mine is 24 months and she's just now starting to not sprint away from me. By 3, my first child had the self control to obey the rules. Give her a little time and keep her in a safe place.

I don't believe in corporal punishment. It's not necessary and the research on it really hasn't demonstrated that it is effective or beneficial. So spanking her more isn't going to solve this problem sooner. What I do is when she runs, I pick her up and say "no, we're not going to do that" and the fun time is over. We go back inside.

But don't panic, there is nothing wrong with you or her. (and don't listen to moms who tell you that their kids never did this so you're doing something wrong. They're either lying or they just got lucky with super mellow kids. Just because something else had a different experience doesn't mean that your own kids have anything wrong with them!)

Peace~

massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Stroller is a good idea, thanks!

Quoting KW1280:

Don't stop taking her for walks. Just be firm and reminding her that no means no. This is what I do, take a stroller and let her push the stroller if she runs put her in the stroller.

Quoting massconfusion14:

Quoting KW1280:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)