Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I live in a cul-de-sac. My 18 month old daughter always runs down the driveway and onto the sidewalk then down the sidewalk. Sometimes she even runs out in the street - thankfully we don't live on a busy street. It's like I turn around for a second to do something such as pick up a piece of chalk to play with her and when I turn my head back, she is 2 houses down the sidewalk. She doesn't even seem to care that I tell her or scream NO. Then when I chase her and try to hold her hand and make her walk back, she collapses on her butt and sometimes throws herself all the way back and screams. She is still in diapers so I have tried firmly (but not too hard) popping her bottom over the diaper but she seems to laugh at it. Does anyone have any advice for how I can get her to quit running from me?

Please don't bash me, help me. I do not abuse my child when I swat her behind and I do pay attention to her, she is just fast. I firmly tell her no and she ignores me. I know she can hear because she has ear tubes and has been tested because of that.

Thanks in advance.

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Replies (51-58):
ivylane37
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM
When I moved to an apartment on a busy street, we sat down on the front steps and watched all the cars drive by going way too fast and why she should never go past my car w out holding my hand. I have the same policy w parking lots. I tell her that I've worked way too hard for her to be run over. Just keep bring consistant.
GleekingOut
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I had a runner with DD21 as a toddler too. She didn't learn to walk until she was almost 3 - so as soon as she was steady on her feet,-mainly in a huge car park -  she was gone. And also - having Aspergers (which I didn't know at the time) she would just laugh when I told her about being hit by a car, because to her it seemed funny. The advice I got, was do NOT chase her. Walk calmly after her, do not display any emotion on your face as you follow her, and continue to say "Come back to mommy now" in a calm controlled voice. When you DO catch up to her (cause you inevitably will) tell her that she now has to stay in the backyard for the rest of the day - or inside if you have  no back fence, and then follow through. She will learn quickly.

benny1031
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
She is definitely in the i'm going to test you and see how far I can go. I taught two year olds for abou six years and the do this a lot try and do time outs and when you reprimand her have a staight to the point reason she will get it . Good luck momma I know what you are going through.
massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Sorry, but that's hilarious!

Quoting jenniferv27:

My 23 mo old will not only take off out side but she will run and hide when it comes to getting dressed, eating dinner, diaper change. The only thing she doesn't run from is a bath lol but but she now has the baby bookin it crawling as fast as she can to get under the crib where they know its hard for me to reach.

Quoting massconfusion14:

You're a very brave woman!

Quoting jenniferv27:

I have a 12mo old and a 23mo old and i'm still dealing with the same problem. Its just a stage. Just stay firm and she will catch on. Good luck hun

massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM

If I walk calmly after her, she will likely get hit by a car. She runs pretty fast and I will not be walking calmly because cars fly into my cul-de-sac and when she gets towards the cross street, it freaks me out.

Quoting GleekingOut:

I had a runner with DD21 as a toddler too. She didn't learn to walk until she was almost 3 - so as soon as she was steady on her feet,-mainly in a huge car park -  she was gone. And also - having Aspergers (which I didn't know at the time) she would just laugh when I told her about being hit by a car, because to her it seemed funny. The advice I got, was do NOT chase her. Walk calmly after her, do not display any emotion on your face as you follow her, and continue to say "Come back to mommy now" in a calm controlled voice. When you DO catch up to her (cause you inevitably will) tell her that she now has to stay in the backyard for the rest of the day - or inside if you have  no back fence, and then follow through. She will learn quickly.

massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I have been doing this and she has been getting a little better. Thanks!!

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Yes she is just pushing her boundaries. She may even think you guys are playing a game, which is why she is laughing. Stay firm and consistent. Remind her that running away is dangerous and that it is not ok. If she does it again grab her, tell her no and bring her back inside, no more play time for a few minutes. Do that every time and stay firm she will get it. As for her throwing herself around remember that she has her own emotions but not the vocabulary necessary to express herself so she may get frustrated. Stay strong :)

LalasMommy1125
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM

awesome :)

Quoting massconfusion14:

I have been doing this and she has been getting a little better. Thanks!!

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Yes she is just pushing her boundaries. She may even think you guys are playing a game, which is why she is laughing. Stay firm and consistent. Remind her that running away is dangerous and that it is not ok. If she does it again grab her, tell her no and bring her back inside, no more play time for a few minutes. Do that every time and stay firm she will get it. As for her throwing herself around remember that she has her own emotions but not the vocabulary necessary to express herself so she may get frustrated. Stay strong :)

adi29
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM
My son does that and he gets his hand tap and gets certain things taken from him. He doesn't do it that much anymore
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)