Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you try to limit gifts from the grandparents?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

My kids have two grandmas that love to shop, are super excited about being grandparents, and are super involved in their lives. It's amazing.

However, the gifts really add up. My husband and I do well financially and don't need any help (but of course, giving gifts isn't necessarily about the recipient!). A lot of the clothes and toys go unworn or unplayed with becaue they're lost in a sea of other stuff. I end up selling things at my yard sale with tags on them or in the original packaging.It just seems like such a waste. Not to mention I don't have room in my home to store all this extra stuff.

I try to hint that we dont' need any more stuff, but they just buy it any way so I've resigned myself to the fact that this will continue to go on! lol

Is this a problem at your house and how do you handle it?

Edit: someone brought this up and I wanted to add on:

Just stop buying your own stuff and use theirs... I  think it would hurt their feelings to not want their gifts...

My reply: I actually kind of resent them getting so much stuff because I feel like I can't buy anything! I see toys that I think my kids would enjoy but then I feel like I can't buy them because they have so much other stuff.

We really have done this during times when money was tighter. As for Christmas, I get them maybe one toy each that they really want and that no one else got for them, but that's it. The bulk of their christmas comes from the grandparents. If I got them anything, the toys would just get lost in a sea of presents.

As for the clothes, I want to pick out my children's clothing! Your kids are only young once and I want to go through the experience of buying cute outfits for my daughters. Some of the stuff they get is cute, but a lot of it is not my style at all

Also, my mom doesn't like me getting rid of the stuff that my anyone gets me because it might hurt someone's feelings, but what about MY feelings? There's no way I could store everything they buy us and I want to buy stuff for my children too!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crochetdiva
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM
5 moms liked this

Instead of selling it at a yard sale how about donating it to the kiddos who spend time in a children's hospital. They would love to have it.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Just stop buying your own stuff and use theirs... I  think it would hurt their feelings to not want their gifts... 

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM

About this advice: I actually kind of resent them getting so much stuff because I feel like I can't buy anything! I see toys that I think my kids would enjoy but then I feel like I can't buy them because they have so much other stuff.

We really have done this during times when money was tighter. As for Christmas, I get them maybe one toy each that they really want and that no one else got for them, but that's it. The bulk of their christmas comes from the grandparents. If I got them anything, the toys would just get lost in a sea of presents.

As for the clothes, I want to pick out my children's clothing! Your kids are only young once and I want to go through the experience of buying cute outfits for my daughters. Some of the stuff they get is cute, but a lot of it is not my style at all.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I can understand that! I always like getting things for my own children as well.

Quoting Indiemom880:

About this advice: I actually kind of resent them getting so much stuff because I feel like I can't buy anything! I see toys that I think my kids would enjoy but then I feel like I can't buy them because they have so much other stuff.

As for the clothes, I want to pick out my children's clothing! Your kids are only young once and I want to go through the experience of buying cute outfits for my daughters. Some of the stuff they get is cute, but a lot of it is not my style at all.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

btw, I quoted you at the top because you brought up an important aspect! :-)

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I can understand that! I always like getting things for my own children as well.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

lilpsmommie2011
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This was a problem with dds grandma, she was so excited about having a grandchild especially a girl since she had boys lol. It took a few times of me explaining to her that dd didn't get the chance to wear half of it and I didn't have room, but finally she simmered down. Now she only buys her clothes if it's something she loves, like Harley stuff or pieces to keep at her house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I would tell them that while I appreciate all the nice things & them thinking of my children.. that it just seems wasteful to have SO much stuff. Maybe they could just take it down a few notches. 

MelanieJK
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I think you should have a conversation with them laying out exactly what you said here.     They might disagree or be disappointed but you're not thinking/saying anything that's hurtful.    

Some donation centers have stores where they resell the donations.    Try taking them to one of those so they can see the excited kids picking stuff out.     Maybe getting involved in that will give them their buying and giving fix despite cutting back on your kids. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I have this problem. Now I tell them whatever they buy for my dd stays at their house and when my dd goes there (weekly) she can play with it there.
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You could always "regift" something they bought. That will go unused or return it and get the money on a gift card to go towards something else for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)