Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dreaded laundry!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 19 Replies
I think I'm one of those weird homewives who love to wash laundry. I pride myself on it. I love the smell of freshly washed laundry! BUT recently my towels have been coming out musky smelling. I've done baking soda, vinegar.. You name it I've tried it. Yesterday my husband mentioned to use less water. If I use less water will my towels come out more fresh? Anyone have any advice?
I'm about to give up and just buy all new towels!
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connie45
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Maybe your washing machine needs to be cleaned.  Front loaders especially tend to get musty.   

kss12
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Ours is a top loader and we just did that tide laundry cleaning a few days ago!

Quoting connie45:

Maybe your washing machine needs to be cleaned.  Front loaders especially tend to get musty.   

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I've heard that RLR laundry treatment can help with that. I'm not sure though. 

Have you tried using a different detergent? My towels were smelling funny when I had to use a community washing machine at my old apartment. Tide powder was the one detergent that really made the difference in the smell. I also tried vinegar and a bunch of other things.

cindilou13
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Make sure your dryer exhaust vent/hose doesn't need cleared...too much lint build up could reduce the heat/air flow.  With towels being thicker than regular clothes, drying slower could trap moisture in there a little more and cause the smell.

kss12
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I thought this as well.. We just repainted our laundry room and dh cleaned the vent when we unhooked everything. I'm starting to think there's a rat in our laundry machine!!!!!

Quoting cindilou13:

Make sure your dryer exhaust vent/hose doesn't need cleared...too much lint build up could reduce the heat/air flow.  With towels being thicker than regular clothes, drying slower could trap moisture in there a little more and cause the smell.

kss12
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I may have to try this. We get the dirt cheap detergent from Walmart - "sun", but get downy unstoppables and a good fabric softener. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and spend a little extra. It's not all clothing that smells, it's just towels. Driving me nuts!!!

Quoting splatz:

Have you tried using a different detergent? My towels were smelling funny when I had to use a community washing machine at my old apartment. Tide powder was the one detergent that really made the difference in the smell. I also tried vinegar and a bunch of other things.

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

We usually just bought the cheap stuff too. Only the towels smelled for me also. The switch really made the difference though. The towels smelled clean and stayed smelling clean. 

Quoting kss12:

I may have to try this. We get the dirt cheap detergent from Walmart - "sun", but get downy unstoppables and a good fabric softener. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and spend a little extra. It's not all clothing that smells, it's just towels. Driving me nuts!!!

Quoting splatz:

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Do you notice the smell right away when you remove them from the dryer or is it later after they have been sitting in your linen closet?

jmp1279
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I have a ton that needs done.  Want to help?

kss12
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Yes! Instantly after!

Quoting goddess99:

Do you notice the smell right away when you remove them from the dryer or is it later after they have been sitting in your linen closet?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)