Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

School supply complaints?

Posted by   + Show Post

*Edit: I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?*

Someone posted something on mom confessions yelling at moms complaining about school supplies. Apparently the hot topic is whether it's reasonable for schools to do the whole communal supplies thing. As in: everyone gets a supply list with say 12 pencils, 2 boxes of tissues, a couple erasers, a pair of scissors, etc. and they are all kept by the teacher for everyone to use. Like, the teacher takes all the pencils and then doles them out as necessary, there's one box of tissues for the whole class, etc.

So apparently a lot of parents are livid over this.

The reasons for this seem to vary:

-some felt like they shouldn't have to buy supplies for the whole class (the supply lists I got seemed on par with what we had when i was a kid and seemed like they were in line with what one child needed) Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? I mean, sure they use the supplies for the whole class, but I dont' think I bought more than I would've if I had just bought for me.

-some felt that kids won't learn responsibility because a new pencil will appear if they lose one. I have my doubts. I don't think that's any kind of education--not being able to do your homework if you run out of pencils. And it would be the same kids from poor families who don't have pencils every week. Also, I have a feeling a lot of kids would "lose" pencils if it meant they got to go without doing their homework! Do you think this is a valid complaint?

-Some felt that they would buy crayola and other parents would buy roseart. lol, this just seems silly. like generic crayons are gonna kill em. But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)

-A lot of people felt that the school should cover these items. I'm not sure if people realized that this meant higher taxes and that your tax dollars would go to other people's school supplies. Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's feelings on this. Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping? As much as I hate Walmart, they make it really easy at the Walmart in my town. They have all the supply lists for all the local schools handy and have everything on all the lists in stock and right in one little area. Need a weird brand of pencil? They make sure to stock it. A lot of people complained about this.

Answer the blue questions! I'd love to hear from you! :-)

Edit: This is my supply list (1st grade)

1 box of crayons (16 ct)

6 large glue sticks

1 plastic pencil box

1 earbud headphones

1 pair scissors

12 sharpened #2 pencils

1 spiral notebook (70 ct)

1 composition notebook

2 large boxes tissues

2 black dry erase markers

1 cannister disinfectant wipes

1 box gallon size baggies

1 magic rub eraser

pencil top erasers

2 plastic folders

I got all this at Walmart last night and I think it was like $45-50.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I know I spent $100.00 on school supplies on two kids last year and I bought what I could at Walmart.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting Janet:

School lists have got bigger.

Have they? In what ways?

Mine wasn't that bad.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Maybe more!
Indiemom880
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Oh okay, I spent $50 on one. I've only been buying supplies for two years, but the list didn't seem out of line with what the typical child would use in a year.

Quoting Janet:

I know I spent $100.00 on school supplies on two kids last year and I bought what I could at Walmart.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting Janet:

Have they? In what ways?

Mine wasn't that bad.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Where I live, school taxes buy school supplies. So then in turn can't require school lists to be brought in ( at the local stores, there are just suggestion lists of what your kid might need because of this, not what the grades are requiring  ), but they can have "suggestions" from the teacher. They are tissues, etc. 

I always sent my son in with his own items anyway so he didn't have to use the classroom items and they could be used for the kids that didn't have or whose parents wouldn't buy. I bought everything for my son & minus his backpack & lunchbox I would never spend $50 so I am not sure how it should be costing that much for pencils, erasers, crayons, colored pencils, etc. Nor should it be costing that much. 

I have heard of some lists in some areas that crazy! Teachers insisting on name brands only, which I feel is unacceptable. Asking for 3-4 packs of crayons or more, same with everything. Basically you were having to pay for multiple kids. 

I always sent in extra pencils, glue sticks, tissues & crayons to the teacher for the class, and also wanted Jonathan's to be his. I had a basket by the door that had all the extras, and he would grab them as he needed to, to fill his box. It was never an issue as the teacher knew I already gave. And if she needed more, she could let me know, as I was usually a helper in the class on a day off or when I could come in for different activies ( I worked, but took some days off early or was there on my monday off )

As they get older, the school lists die off, especially when it is basically pencils, erasers & tissues. 

Michelle, Body Combat Addict 
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

Join us in the  Pennsylvania Moms group.

whatmynameagain
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM
School lists have gotten longer (buying crayons, pencils and now glue and scissors that schools used to supply to each child) but school budgets have gotten tighter and the education seems to be one of the first places budget cuts happen.Schools have to get children the supppliesvthey need so they are forced to lean heavier on the parents ti do that. Its life.It sucks if you're on a tight budget at home as many of us are ,so I have no problem sharing supplies ,but I don't want to one the only one they depend on to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I had one school aged kid before I started homeschooling. He was in kindergarten and I spent 130 dollars on his supplies. His school did the communal supplies and yes it irritated me. Half way through the year the teacher sent home notes asking parents to provide more school supplies because they had run out. I know for a fact that my mom never bought all that for me and I even had left overs at the end of the year. I was taught to be responsible for my things. My mom was firm with me and told me that she bought all I was getting for the whole year so I'd better not tear them up or share them. I obeyed my mother and never had any issues with enough supplies.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM

It didn't last all year. I had to buy them individual stuff later in the year. More this, more that.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Oh okay, I spent $50 on one. I've only been buying supplies for two years, but the list didn't seem out of line with what the typical child would use in a year.

Quoting Janet:

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting Janet:

Have they? In what ways?

Mine wasn't that bad.

mcginnisc
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM

My girls go to private school so the list is small..only 12 items for K5 and 13 for 2nd grade..we already have a few items ( backpack, pencil box, scissors) so we only have to buy a small portion of things...That said...here is a list from one of our elementary schools in my county for Kindergarten..

Large Backpack (big enough to hold a standard folder - No

rolling backpacks, please)

1- Pair of FISKAR's scissors

Pencil box (plastic box with lid)

2- large boxes of Keenex tissues

2- 4oz bottles of Elmer's white glue

20 -glue sticks

4 - boxes of 24 Crayola crayons

l- container of Clorox antibacterial wipes {any brand will be fine)

1- pack EXPO colored dry erase markers

5- reams of white copy paper

1 - ream of colored copy paper

I packages of Regurlar yellow #2 pencils (not fat pencils)

1 pack of Crayola Markers (any colors)

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Jeez! That list sounds excessive. They're asking parents to bring in 6 reams of paper??? 20 glue sticks???

I'll post our schools list when I get home. It wasn't anything like that.

Quoting mcginnisc:

My girls go to private school so the list is small..only 12 items for K5 and 13 for 2nd grade..we already have a few items ( backpack, pencil box, scissors) so we only have to buy a small portion of things...That said...here is a list from one of our elementary schools in my county for Kindergarten..

20 -glue sticks

mcginnisc
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Quoting Indiemom880:

Jeez! That list sounds excessive. They're asking parents to bring in 6 reams of paper??? 20 glue sticks???

I'll post our schools list when I get home. It wasn't anything like that.

Quoting mcginnisc:

20 -glue sticks

Nuts, isn't it? My kids' lists are tiny for private school since tuition covers most of it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)