Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School supply complaints?

Posted by   + Show Post

*Edit: I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?*

Someone posted something on mom confessions yelling at moms complaining about school supplies. Apparently the hot topic is whether it's reasonable for schools to do the whole communal supplies thing. As in: everyone gets a supply list with say 12 pencils, 2 boxes of tissues, a couple erasers, a pair of scissors, etc. and they are all kept by the teacher for everyone to use. Like, the teacher takes all the pencils and then doles them out as necessary, there's one box of tissues for the whole class, etc.

So apparently a lot of parents are livid over this.

The reasons for this seem to vary:

-some felt like they shouldn't have to buy supplies for the whole class (the supply lists I got seemed on par with what we had when i was a kid and seemed like they were in line with what one child needed) Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? I mean, sure they use the supplies for the whole class, but I dont' think I bought more than I would've if I had just bought for me.

-some felt that kids won't learn responsibility because a new pencil will appear if they lose one. I have my doubts. I don't think that's any kind of education--not being able to do your homework if you run out of pencils. And it would be the same kids from poor families who don't have pencils every week. Also, I have a feeling a lot of kids would "lose" pencils if it meant they got to go without doing their homework! Do you think this is a valid complaint?

-Some felt that they would buy crayola and other parents would buy roseart. lol, this just seems silly. like generic crayons are gonna kill em. But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)

-A lot of people felt that the school should cover these items. I'm not sure if people realized that this meant higher taxes and that your tax dollars would go to other people's school supplies. Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's feelings on this. Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping? As much as I hate Walmart, they make it really easy at the Walmart in my town. They have all the supply lists for all the local schools handy and have everything on all the lists in stock and right in one little area. Need a weird brand of pencil? They make sure to stock it. A lot of people complained about this.

Answer the blue questions! I'd love to hear from you! :-)

Edit: This is my supply list (1st grade)

1 box of crayons (16 ct)

6 large glue sticks

1 plastic pencil box

1 earbud headphones

1 pair scissors

12 sharpened #2 pencils

1 spiral notebook (70 ct)

1 composition notebook

2 large boxes tissues

2 black dry erase markers

1 cannister disinfectant wipes

1 box gallon size baggies

1 magic rub eraser

pencil top erasers

2 plastic folders

I got all this at Walmart last night and I think it was like $45-50.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
HIJKLM
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I think it depends on where you live and how well funded your school is. In NV (where there is no state or sales tax) the schools asked for a whole long list of things including tissue and Clorox wipes. In CA the school only wants a book bag.

Either way I don't think the school is asking for an unreasonable amount and sharing supplies might *gasp* teach kids to share and work together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM

LOL I bought rose art crayons. They arent much different than crayola. I bought the 6 packs that was required of me. I think I will buy a few extras just in case the teacher needs them. They are $.37 here at walmart.

Love060708kids
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I'm not complaining.  I have three children that are going to school this year: Kindergarten, first grade and second grade.  The compiled list I have doesn't compare to most my other friends in different schools. 

ETA: The school asks for Crayola markers, crayons and watercolors.

MariannLws
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

To whine and argue over school supples. things that are dirt cheap and possibly freeI, is just silly. Great way to teach the kids to be stingy and not share with their neighbor. 

Oh, I know I'll read " I paid for it. It's my child's" or "I'm not supplying supplies for other people's children" Way to teach non  compassion, being selfish and greedy and,not sharing with the less fortunate. 

I have no problem with school supplies. 

lwalker270
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no problem whatsoever with buying requested supplies and I have no issues with communal supplies.

Yes, I pay taxes; however, part of my obligation as a parent is to ensure my children have the proper supplies. With budget cuts, the school is unable and it's certainly not up to the teachers. They spend too much out-of-pocket as it is.
Indiemom880
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Lol, oh no! Motherhood fail!!!

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

LOL I bought rose art crayons. They arent much different than crayola. I bought the 6 packs that was required of me. I think I will buy a few extras just in case the teacher needs them. They are $.37 here at walmart.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Well, I wouldn't say dirt cheap! I don't complain or care as long as my kid has what she needs, but I spent $50 on my list (which I just posted above). Those glue sticks were really pricey!

Quoting MariannLws:

To whine and argue over school supples. things that are dirt cheap and possibly freeI, is just silly. Great way to teach the kids to be stingy and not share with their neighbor. 

Oh, I know I'll read " I paid for it. It's my child's" or "I'm not supplying supplies for other people's children" Way to teach non  compassion, being selfish and greedy and,not sharing with the less fortunate. 

MariannLws
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Elmers Glue sticks are selling for $1.99 for a six pack this week at Kroger. That comes out to $.33 per stick. Pretty cheap. 

Quoting Indiemom880:

Well, I wouldn't say dirt cheap! I don't complain or care as long as my kid has what she needs, but I spent $50 on my list (which I just posted above). Those glue sticks were really pricey!

Quoting MariannLws:

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL the way I see it, if your kid is too good for RoseArt crayons then that means more crayons for my kid and thoe other kids whose parents arent stuck up.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Lol, oh no! Motherhood fail!!!

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Two packs at walmart are $.50. So thats even cheaper. 

Quoting MariannLws:

Elmers Glue sticks are selling for $1.99 for a six pack this week at Kroger. That comes out to $.33 per stick. Pretty cheap. 

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting MariannLws:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)