Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

School supply complaints?

Posted by   + Show Post

*Edit: I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?*

Someone posted something on mom confessions yelling at moms complaining about school supplies. Apparently the hot topic is whether it's reasonable for schools to do the whole communal supplies thing. As in: everyone gets a supply list with say 12 pencils, 2 boxes of tissues, a couple erasers, a pair of scissors, etc. and they are all kept by the teacher for everyone to use. Like, the teacher takes all the pencils and then doles them out as necessary, there's one box of tissues for the whole class, etc.

So apparently a lot of parents are livid over this.

The reasons for this seem to vary:

-some felt like they shouldn't have to buy supplies for the whole class (the supply lists I got seemed on par with what we had when i was a kid and seemed like they were in line with what one child needed) Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? I mean, sure they use the supplies for the whole class, but I dont' think I bought more than I would've if I had just bought for me.

-some felt that kids won't learn responsibility because a new pencil will appear if they lose one. I have my doubts. I don't think that's any kind of education--not being able to do your homework if you run out of pencils. And it would be the same kids from poor families who don't have pencils every week. Also, I have a feeling a lot of kids would "lose" pencils if it meant they got to go without doing their homework! Do you think this is a valid complaint?

-Some felt that they would buy crayola and other parents would buy roseart. lol, this just seems silly. like generic crayons are gonna kill em. But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)

-A lot of people felt that the school should cover these items. I'm not sure if people realized that this meant higher taxes and that your tax dollars would go to other people's school supplies. Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's feelings on this. Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping? As much as I hate Walmart, they make it really easy at the Walmart in my town. They have all the supply lists for all the local schools handy and have everything on all the lists in stock and right in one little area. Need a weird brand of pencil? They make sure to stock it. A lot of people complained about this.

Answer the blue questions! I'd love to hear from you! :-)

Edit: This is my supply list (1st grade)

1 box of crayons (16 ct)

6 large glue sticks

1 plastic pencil box

1 earbud headphones

1 pair scissors

12 sharpened #2 pencils

1 spiral notebook (70 ct)

1 composition notebook

2 large boxes tissues

2 black dry erase markers

1 cannister disinfectant wipes

1 box gallon size baggies

1 magic rub eraser

pencil top erasers

2 plastic folders

I got all this at Walmart last night and I think it was like $45-50.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
MariannLws
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Touché :)  

Point made school supplies are dirt cheap. Even the so called "pricey" items. The deals are out there. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Two packs at walmart are $.50. So thats even cheaper. 

Quoting MariannLws:

Elmers Glue sticks are selling for $1.99 for a six pack this week at Kroger. That comes out to $.33 per stick. Pretty cheap. 

Quoting Indiemom880:

Well, I wouldn't say dirt cheap! I don't complain or care as long as my kid has what she needs, but I spent $50 on my list (which I just posted above). Those glue sticks were really pricey!

Quoting MariannLws:

To whine and argue over school supples. things that are dirt cheap and possibly freeI, is just silly. Great way to teach the kids to be stingy and not share with their neighbor. 

Oh, I know I'll read " I paid for it. It's my child's" or "I'm not supplying supplies for other people's children" Way to teach non  compassion, being selfish and greedy and,not sharing with the less fortunate. 

I have no problem with school supplies. 

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I dunno guys, I didn't buy any pricey brands (and shopped at Walmart) when i bought my list and I don't consider $50 dirt cheap! Maybe some of the individual items are, but when you have a long list, it adds up! I may have been able to save $10 if I had really done some searching (and spent that much on gas). But nothing was free. (what examples of free items were you referring to?)

I mean, I'm not saying it's anything worth complaining on classroom sharing over. None of these items are outrageous requests. But I can see parents feeling like it's a burden on their family.

Also, something that a lot of people are bringing up: I don't think there's any reason to complain about teachers asking for more items mid-year. I haven't had this happen to me, and I don't have any problem with sending in any more items. But I would think they wouldn't hold it against you if you couldn't afford to do so. I'm one of four or five moms who do everything in the classroom. We host all the parties. We do all the field trips. I spend a lot more money and do a lot more work than most of the moms in the class and I do it because I like doing it. I certainly don't look down on moms who don't contribute. maybe they work full time, maybe they can't afford it. I would think any teacher would understand if you can't bring in extra supplies mid-year.

Quoting MariannLws:

Touché :)  

Point made school supplies are dirt cheap. Even the so called "pricey" items. The deals are out there. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Two packs at walmart are $.50. So thats even cheaper. 

Quoting MariannLws:

Elmers Glue sticks are selling for $1.99 for a six pack this week at Kroger. That comes out to $.33 per stick. Pretty cheap. 

Quoting Indiemom880:

Well, I wouldn't say dirt cheap! I don't complain or care as long as my kid has what she needs, but I spent $50 on my list (which I just posted above). Those glue sticks were really pricey!

Quoting MariannLws:

To whine and argue over school supples. things that are dirt cheap and possibly freeI, is just silly. Great way to teach the kids to be stingy and not share with their neighbor. 

Oh, I know I'll read " I paid for it. It's my child's" or "I'm not supplying supplies for other people's children" Way to teach non  compassion, being selfish and greedy and,not sharing with the less fortunate. 

I have no problem with school supplies. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM
As my dd has gotten older the lists have gotten shorter. I always buy extra and send in more than what's asked because some parents don't bother at all.
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I just don't get why women on here complain about this same topic EVERY year! lol

My son did supply sharing for kindgergarten and first grade. Did it suck? Yeah.. But not because I was offended by him sharing. He was disappointed that he couldn't get the pencils, folders, etc that he liked because they were shared materials. But, he got over it. Not everything in life goes our way. 

His list this year (we spent about $20):

1 - Pencil Pouch  (No hard plastic spacemakers)

4 - Pencils

2 - Pink Erasers

1 - Package of Skinny Markers

1 - Spiral notebook for art journal

1 Container of Clorox Wipes

Glue

School box

Pointed scissors

1 Ruler with centimeters and inches

24 Sharpened pencils (No. 2 lead)

2 Boxes of Crayons (prefer two small boxes of 24)

2 Pkgs. of fat markers

1 Pkg. of dry erase Expo markers

(fat-variety of colors)

3 Folders with pockets 

4 Spiral Notebooks (wide ruled)

1 Roll of paper towels

1 Box of tissues

1 Package of addition flash cards

1 Package of subtraction flash cards

whoodathunk
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Your list is rather mild...ours had 3 sizes of baggies, wipes, tissues, toilet paper, trapper keeper & more.  Even so, I certainly won't complain and would never consider asking that my child's supplies are NOT shared, how selfish is that?  I try to buy extra pencils and glue sticks & such when they're on the penny sales and send them in for the teachers to share with other teachers who need them.  I'd much rather buy a few extra supplies than be labeled as the mom that doesn't share!  JMHO

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Wow, you had to bring in the toilet paper??? Jeez, how little do they get from taxes???

Yeah, I bought extra of a few things to contribute to the class. I can afford to and I don't want anyone to go without.

Quoting whoodathunk:

Your list is rather mild...ours had 3 sizes of baggies, wipes, tissues, toilet paper, trapper keeper & more.  Even so, I certainly won't complain and would never consider asking that my child's supplies are NOT shared, how selfish is that?  I try to buy extra pencils and glue sticks & such when they're on the penny sales and send them in for the teachers to share with other teachers who need them.  I'd much rather buy a few extra supplies than be labeled as the mom that doesn't share!  JMHO

whoodathunk
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Our taxes are ridiculously high and we're an upper to upper middle class neighborhood.  I'm not sure why toilet paper, but we had to in Kindergarden.  I just figured if I didn't send it in, it would come out of the teacher's pockets and that's not fair.  

Quoting Indiemom880:

Wow, you had to bring in the toilet paper??? Jeez, how little do they get from taxes???

Yeah, I bought extra of a few things to contribute to the class. I can afford to and I don't want anyone to go without.

Quoting whoodathunk:

nelsjb
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about, same thing happens here.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Lol, I swear there's a troll in my house that eats pencils and pens. I can never find one when I need one!

Quoting mom2ljh:

I'm 28 years old and I STILL lose my pencils. Having my own pencils didn't teach me not to lose them. It just taught me Mom would make sure I always have pencils. What do I do now when I lose all my pencils? I go to the store and make more magically appear, lol.
I think the whole argument is stupid. Send in your child's school supplies and follow the requirements. If they're communal, don't label them. If they aren't, do. If they're communal, buy the cheap brand. If they aren't, don't. It's simple.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
My son is going into second grade and I have yet to get a school supply list. He changed schools late in the year so we may get one. For K and 1st grade I picked up another school's list at wal-mart AND GOT WHAT i THOUGHT WAS REaSONABLE. His teachers provided everything. In K they had a wish tree and you took something off their (if you wanted) and provided that item. Your list seems very reasonable and I would not take issue with it. I have lists that are much less reasonable. For example last year the list I followed asked each child to provide a box of printer/copier paper, that is definitly something I feel the school should provide.
chattycassie
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM

School list have gotten bigger, they contain a LOT of items not NEEDED to be educated like clorox wipes and multiple sizes of ziplock bags ECT. I have a LONG list for all of my children this year. A lot of the itmes are shared items. I don't care to be honest as long as my kids has what she needs for school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN