Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School supply complaints?

Posted by   + Show Post

*Edit: I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?*

Someone posted something on mom confessions yelling at moms complaining about school supplies. Apparently the hot topic is whether it's reasonable for schools to do the whole communal supplies thing. As in: everyone gets a supply list with say 12 pencils, 2 boxes of tissues, a couple erasers, a pair of scissors, etc. and they are all kept by the teacher for everyone to use. Like, the teacher takes all the pencils and then doles them out as necessary, there's one box of tissues for the whole class, etc.

So apparently a lot of parents are livid over this.

The reasons for this seem to vary:

-some felt like they shouldn't have to buy supplies for the whole class (the supply lists I got seemed on par with what we had when i was a kid and seemed like they were in line with what one child needed) Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? I mean, sure they use the supplies for the whole class, but I dont' think I bought more than I would've if I had just bought for me.

-some felt that kids won't learn responsibility because a new pencil will appear if they lose one. I have my doubts. I don't think that's any kind of education--not being able to do your homework if you run out of pencils. And it would be the same kids from poor families who don't have pencils every week. Also, I have a feeling a lot of kids would "lose" pencils if it meant they got to go without doing their homework! Do you think this is a valid complaint?

-Some felt that they would buy crayola and other parents would buy roseart. lol, this just seems silly. like generic crayons are gonna kill em. But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)

-A lot of people felt that the school should cover these items. I'm not sure if people realized that this meant higher taxes and that your tax dollars would go to other people's school supplies. Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's feelings on this. Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping? As much as I hate Walmart, they make it really easy at the Walmart in my town. They have all the supply lists for all the local schools handy and have everything on all the lists in stock and right in one little area. Need a weird brand of pencil? They make sure to stock it. A lot of people complained about this.

Answer the blue questions! I'd love to hear from you! :-)

Edit: This is my supply list (1st grade)

1 box of crayons (16 ct)

6 large glue sticks

1 plastic pencil box

1 earbud headphones

1 pair scissors

12 sharpened #2 pencils

1 spiral notebook (70 ct)

1 composition notebook

2 large boxes tissues

2 black dry erase markers

1 cannister disinfectant wipes

1 box gallon size baggies

1 magic rub eraser

pencil top erasers

2 plastic folders

I got all this at Walmart last night and I think it was like $45-50.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

The lists have gotten bigger I think, they have from the time my son first started to my second. But I am willing to get the supplies that is needed and extra if we can afford to

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

My son is going into second grade and I have yet to get a school supply list. He changed schools late in the year so we may get one. For K and 1st grade I picked up another school's list at wal-mart AND GOT WHAT i THOUGHT WAS REaSONABLE. His teachers provided everything. In K they had a wish tree and you took something off their (if you wanted) and provided that item. Your list seems very reasonable and I would not take issue with it. I have lists that are much less reasonable. For example last year the list I followed asked each child to provide a box of printer/copier paper, that is definitly something I feel the school should provide.

pause_25
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I would love to have your supply list above these are my boys supply list this year and they are in Kentucky School!

Are you ready for the 6th grade school supply list!

(43 items and that is with the 10 pks  pencils included)(*not including the wishlist items*)

8 yes 8 - Spiral Notebooks *70 count single subject- wide or College Ruled

6- 3 prong /2 pockets folders

4 - packages of notebook paper ( college ruled PREFERRED)

1 box Colored Pencils / or Crayola Markers

1- 2 or 4 pack glue sticks

10- packs of No 2 pencils

4 EXPO dry erase markers

1 bottle hand sanitizer

2 rolls of paper towels

2 boxes of Kleenex

2 packages of cap erasers

1 5- subject spiral notebook

ear buds

Wish list

Extra baby wipes

Extra hand Sanitizer

Crayola Magic Markers

Extra highlighters

Sandwhich or Gallon sized Ziplock Bags!

3 grade school supply list

(43 items not including the wish list! )

3 pks of note book paper (wide rule)

3 pks of pencils ( American made #2)

2 boxes of Crayola crayons (24 count)

3 small black dry erase markers

3 Large black dry erase markers

2 spiral notebooks (70 page 1 subject)

2 compostion notebooks (black /white marble cover)

2 1' inch 3 ring binder ( 1 black & 1 color of choice)

1 canvas pencil pouch ( with 3 ring holes)

4 glue sticks

1 pair of childrens scissors

4 boxes of Kleenex Tissue

2 rolls of paper towels

1 bottle of hand sanitizer

2 Clorox Disinfecting /cleaning wipes

3 packages of pencil top erasers

1 set of earbuds

1 backpack

wish list

baby wipes

snack ,sandwhich , quart or gallon size zip lock bags

index cards

small or regular tip Crayola markers

Crayola Colored pencils

small size Prizes for Classroom!

pause_25
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My brother is a computer tech , he told me there is a room full of school supplies at the school he works for from last year that hasn't even been touched and he thinks its crazy they still have more stuff brought in , he said it even looks like stuff they brought in the year prior! Its like what is going on there!

Quoting Indiemom880:

I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

My son is going into second grade and I have yet to get a school supply list. He changed schools late in the year so we may get one. For K and 1st grade I picked up another school's list at wal-mart AND GOT WHAT i THOUGHT WAS REaSONABLE. His teachers provided everything. In K they had a wish tree and you took something off their (if you wanted) and provided that item. Your list seems very reasonable and I would not take issue with it. I have lists that are much less reasonable. For example last year the list I followed asked each child to provide a box of printer/copier paper, that is definitly something I feel the school should provide.

Irishmommy860
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I have got to be one of the only people itching to get the school list. I don't mind buying in mass quantities...I know that it will go towards my DD's education as well as the education of her friends and peers. I also know that not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do so and I am glad to help

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I've seen a lot of lists requesting "packages" of pencils or packages of cap erasers. Lol, I've seen packages of lots of different numbers! It seems weird that they aren't more specific.

Quoting pause_25:

I would love to have your supply list above these are my boys supply list this year and they are in Kentucky School!

Are you ready for the 6th grade school supply list!

(43 items and that is with the 10 pks  pencils included)(*not including the wishlist items*)

8 yes 8 - Spiral Notebooks *70 count single subject- wide or College Ruled

6- 3 prong /2 pockets folders

4 - packages of notebook paper ( college ruled PREFERRED)

1 box Colored Pencils / or Crayola Markers

1- 2 or 4 pack glue sticks

10- packs of No 2 pencils

4 EXPO dry erase markers

1 bottle hand sanitizer

2 rolls of paper towels

2 boxes of Kleenex

2 packages of cap erasers

1 5- subject spiral notebook

ear buds

Wish list

Extra baby wipes

Extra hand Sanitizer

Crayola Magic Markers

Extra highlighters

Sandwhich or Gallon sized Ziplock Bags!

3 grade school supply list

(43 items not including the wish list! )

3 pks of note book paper (wide rule)

3 pks of pencils ( American made #2)

2 boxes of Crayola crayons (24 count)

3 small black dry erase markers

3 Large black dry erase markers

2 spiral notebooks (70 page 1 subject)

2 compostion notebooks (black /white marble cover)

2 1' inch 3 ring binder ( 1 black & 1 color of choice)

1 canvas pencil pouch ( with 3 ring holes)

4 glue sticks

1 pair of childrens scissors

4 boxes of Kleenex Tissue

2 rolls of paper towels

1 bottle of hand sanitizer

2 Clorox Disinfecting /cleaning wipes

3 packages of pencil top erasers

1 set of earbuds

1 backpack

wish list

baby wipes

snack ,sandwhich , quart or gallon size zip lock bags

index cards

small or regular tip Crayola markers

Crayola Colored pencils

small size Prizes for Classroom!

abecee
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I have 2 kids.  The lists seem much longer this year.  We get what we can afford, with the hope and intention of bringing items in throughout the year as our budget allows. 

pause_25
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I used to be the same way when we had the funds I would even buy a little extra just in case, but now since my husband lost his job of 20 years due to them closing the doors and the banking Job he has now , we don't make no where near he made with that other job!  

Quoting Irishmommy860:

I have got to be one of the only people itching to get the school list. I don't mind buying in mass quantities...I know that it will go towards my DD's education as well as the education of her friends and peers. I also know that not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do so and I am glad to help

Irishmommy860
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM

We're a one income home too, and by no means make good money, but school supplies are a high priority always. We save and I bargain shop so it's really ok. I know that most parents will also be buying in bulk as well so it's not a big issue

Quoting pause_25:

I used to be the same way when we had the funds I would even buy a little extra just in case, but now since my husband lost his job of 20 years due to them closing the doors and the banking Job he has now , we don't make no where near he made with that other job!  

Quoting Irishmommy860:

Live,Laugh, Love and at the end of the day....drink wine!

laughing

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I don't mind buying things such as crayons, pencils, etc I do take issue with buying copy/printer paper.    The reason I don't want to buy that paper is I have no control over how well it is used.  I have seen entire papers come home with only two lines on one side used and the other completely blank.  When asked if these could be returned to be used again the teacher refused to reuse the paper.  If the school wants to waste papper they can buy it.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)