Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School supply complaints?

Posted by   + Show Post

*Edit: I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?*

Someone posted something on mom confessions yelling at moms complaining about school supplies. Apparently the hot topic is whether it's reasonable for schools to do the whole communal supplies thing. As in: everyone gets a supply list with say 12 pencils, 2 boxes of tissues, a couple erasers, a pair of scissors, etc. and they are all kept by the teacher for everyone to use. Like, the teacher takes all the pencils and then doles them out as necessary, there's one box of tissues for the whole class, etc.

So apparently a lot of parents are livid over this.

The reasons for this seem to vary:

-some felt like they shouldn't have to buy supplies for the whole class (the supply lists I got seemed on par with what we had when i was a kid and seemed like they were in line with what one child needed) Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? I mean, sure they use the supplies for the whole class, but I dont' think I bought more than I would've if I had just bought for me.

-some felt that kids won't learn responsibility because a new pencil will appear if they lose one. I have my doubts. I don't think that's any kind of education--not being able to do your homework if you run out of pencils. And it would be the same kids from poor families who don't have pencils every week. Also, I have a feeling a lot of kids would "lose" pencils if it meant they got to go without doing their homework! Do you think this is a valid complaint?

-Some felt that they would buy crayola and other parents would buy roseart. lol, this just seems silly. like generic crayons are gonna kill em. But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)

-A lot of people felt that the school should cover these items. I'm not sure if people realized that this meant higher taxes and that your tax dollars would go to other people's school supplies. Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's feelings on this. Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping? As much as I hate Walmart, they make it really easy at the Walmart in my town. They have all the supply lists for all the local schools handy and have everything on all the lists in stock and right in one little area. Need a weird brand of pencil? They make sure to stock it. A lot of people complained about this.

Answer the blue questions! I'd love to hear from you! :-)

Edit: This is my supply list (1st grade)

1 box of crayons (16 ct)

6 large glue sticks

1 plastic pencil box

1 earbud headphones

1 pair scissors

12 sharpened #2 pencils

1 spiral notebook (70 ct)

1 composition notebook

2 large boxes tissues

2 black dry erase markers

1 cannister disinfectant wipes

1 box gallon size baggies

1 magic rub eraser

pencil top erasers

2 plastic folders

I got all this at Walmart last night and I think it was like $45-50.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (51-60):
Indiemom880
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM

But that's the thing, the "school" isn't paying for anything. Taxpayers, including you, are. So you either pay for these things out of your pocket or you pay for them in taxes. With the first, you're only paying for them while your kids are in school. With the second, you're paying for them permanently no matter how old your kids are.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but you're paying for it either way.

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

I don't mind buying things such as crayons, pencils, etc I do take issue with buying copy/printer paper.    The reason I don't want to buy that paper is I have no control over how well it is used.  I have seen entire papers come home with only two lines on one side used and the other completely blank.  When asked if these could be returned to be used again the teacher refused to reuse the paper.  If the school wants to waste papper they can buy it.

Quoting Indiemom880:

I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

My son is going into second grade and I have yet to get a school supply list. He changed schools late in the year so we may get one. For K and 1st grade I picked up another school's list at wal-mart AND GOT WHAT i THOUGHT WAS REaSONABLE. His teachers provided everything. In K they had a wish tree and you took something off their (if you wanted) and provided that item. Your list seems very reasonable and I would not take issue with it. I have lists that are much less reasonable. For example last year the list I followed asked each child to provide a box of printer/copier paper, that is definitly something I feel the school should provide.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I agree with a lot of moms. Our schools here are asking for way too much and i will not be supplying some of the amounts for my childs kindergarten class. I will keep what i need at home until needed and the teacher can do her job and tell me ahead of time if my child needs more which i highly doubt she will. Teacher also asks for us not to put our childs name on supplies except thier back pack. I will be doing that and whats left, i will be getting back at the end of the year accounted for because im not gonna buy stuff for someone elses kid. My sister is dealing with this too for her 4th grader in another town that she lives in. She is putting her childs name on her supplies and not sending everything at once. She said this has been a problem the past few yrs for her and other moms in that area

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Here is our list for kindergarten: Some of the amounts are a bit too much and i wont be sending it all at once

4 boxes of crayola brand crayons

1 pair Fiskar scissors

2 large boxes of Kleenex

6 yellow pencils

1 4oz bottle of glue

8 solid glue sticks

1 set of 8 watercolors

1 box washable markers

1 lg eraser

1 plastic school box

1 ream of printer paper

1 bottle of hand sanatizer

1 4pk of playdough

1 one subject spiral notebook

Boys- 1 box quart size ziplock bags

Girls-1 box of gallon ziplock bags

katfeemom
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I shall attempt to answer these to the best of my abilities...

Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? Yes.  I believe that the lists have gotten bigger, but I can also remember teachers taking out of their own pockets to provide for their class.  Why should teachers be expected to do that?  After all, when you go out to eat at a restaurant, do you think that the cook purchased the food, or the restaurant?

Do you think this is a valid complaint?  Yes, I feel that it is a valid complaint, a friend of mine who is a teacher dealt with that.   The kids would earn ‘money' for doing jobs around the class room, and positive behaviors.  If they lost their pencil, they would have to use their ‘money' to buy a new one.  Other than that, the money could be used for rewards.

But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)  Parents buy what they can afford.  Unless they have a legitimate reason, the teachers have no right to demand ANY brand name supplies

Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies? Having school aged  children, I am on the fence about this.  However, do I think that it is fair that people past childbearing age, who are most likely already living on fixed incomes  should have tax increases to pay for other people's children's school?  No.

Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping?

I have not yet purchased school supplies this year.  But I have noticed some behaviors in the past from teachers in my children's school.  For example, when school begins there are 30 canisters of Clorox wipes in the classroom.  The teacher has the desks set up in groups of 4 desks per group.  Teacher tells the children to clean their desks.  Each group gets at least 4 wipes.  1 per desk.  Quickly the wipes begin to disappear.  Christmas passes.  Now the teacher knows that they are running low.  Now when they tell the kids to clean the desks, they give 2 wipes for 4 desks.  Soon it becomes 1 wipe for 4 desks.  When it seems that there is an excess, no one is thrifty, and (IMO) they are wasteful with supplies.  I've also seen teachers leave with supplies (tissues) saying things like "My Hubby is sick, we ran out of tissues and I don't have time to stop on my way home". 

I provide the minimum that my child needs to preform academically in school.  I had one teacher years ago that provided a list of what was needed.  You signed for re-supplying the supplies for a certain month.  That was your responsibility, or you could make a cash donation and the room mom would do the shopping.

The other  thing that I do, as I refuse to buy supplies that will be wasted, I tell the teachers that I will not buy supplies, however, when they are running low, please let me know and I will send items in.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
You have a point there. I guess for me it is that when I know who is wasting it irritates me more. It's kind of like when I take the kids to the park and ds 6 throws awa trash some lazyA left behind. I love that he cares enough to keep the Earth clean but I am annoyed at the litterer. Now he I see someone drop trash I will say something directly to them such as, "you missed the trash can" depending on my mood I may be nice or rude. Even after I can be mad for days.
Quoting Indiemom880:

But that's the thing, the "school" isn't paying for anything. Taxpayers, including you, are. So you either pay for these things out of your pocket or you pay for them in taxes. With the first, you're only paying for them while your kids are in school. With the second, you're paying for them permanently no matter how old your kids are.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but you're paying for it either way.

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

I don't mind buying things such as crayons, pencils, etc I do take issue with buying copy/printer paper.    The reason I don't want to buy that paper is I have no control over how well it is used.  I have seen entire papers come home with only two lines on one side used and the other completely blank.  When asked if these could be returned to be used again the teacher refused to reuse the paper.  If the school wants to waste papper they can buy it.

Quoting Indiemom880:

I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

My son is going into second grade and I have yet to get a school supply list. He changed schools late in the year so we may get one. For K and 1st grade I picked up another school's list at wal-mart AND GOT WHAT i THOUGHT WAS REaSONABLE. His teachers provided everything. In K they had a wish tree and you took something off their (if you wanted) and provided that item. Your list seems very reasonable and I would not take issue with it. I have lists that are much less reasonable. For example last year the list I followed asked each child to provide a box of printer/copier paper, that is definitly something I feel the school should provide.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Yeah, when you pay for it out of your wallet, you definitely notice the waste!

Off topic: my 2 year old has learned to throw things away. She throws away her apple cores, her paper towels, things I ask her to throw away. She is super excited about this new skill she's learned. She gets super excited when she sees trash at the park. Mommy look! Something I get to throw away! lol

Unfortunately she gets a little overzealous about it and doesn't always understand what things you throw away and what things you don't throw away. When sippy cups are empty, they go in the trash (you throw away the apple core, why not the sippy cup?). When she's does eating, the plate goes in the trash. I have to keep a close eye on the trash to make sure she isn't throwing all my belongings away! lol

My mom lost a pair of expensive earrings and we're thinking she tossed them in the waste basket. I mean, really what was she expecting leaving expensive jewelry out when there's a toddler around! But yeah, it's a learning curve :-)

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

You have a point there. I guess for me it is that when I know who is wasting it irritates me more. It's kind of like when I take the kids to the park and ds 6 throws awa trash some lazyA left behind. I love that he cares enough to keep the Earth clean but I am annoyed at the litterer. Now he I see someone drop trash I will say something directly to them such as, "you missed the trash can" depending on my mood I may be nice or rude. Even after I can be mad for days.
Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this

School supplies cost us $31. We could have cheaped out and made it cheaper I'm sure. (For example, 24 ct crayola are 50 cents and 48 ct Crayola are $3, but I figured the teacher wanted the color assortment.) Do I know what the teacher does with 60 boxes of Ziplock freezer bags? Probably portions her meat at home. Who cares, she is teaching my kid.

I think people just need to get over it. Save up, its no shock that your kids need school supplies. Put away a dollar per week per kid all year and magically you have money for school supplies. We don't need to raise taxes. We don't need to complain. Save up, fund your children's education.

As a side note: DD has been telling everyone that we needed 10 glue sticks and she thinks she is in for an amazing year full of gluing. Lol.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM

In the end does it overly matter if a kid is using your daughter's pencils and crayons? As long as she has a pencil and crayon to use, isn't it all good?

I used to be all pissed over this... now I just don't see the point. If DD complains she has no pencils to use despite bringing in 4 dozen, I will gladly throw a fit. Until then, sharing seems to be more efficient. I imagine its easier on the teacher to just have a bucket of crayons for each table and a bucket of pencils and kids can put them back when done.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I agree with a lot of moms. Our schools here are asking for way too much and i will not be supplying some of the amounts for my childs kindergarten class. I will keep what i need at home until needed and the teacher can do her job and tell me ahead of time if my child needs more which i highly doubt she will. Teacher also asks for us not to put our childs name on supplies except thier back pack. I will be doing that and whats left, i will be getting back at the end of the year accounted for because im not gonna buy stuff for someone elses kid. My sister is dealing with this too for her 4th grader in another town that she lives in. She is putting her childs name on her supplies and not sending everything at once. She said this has been a problem the past few yrs for her and other moms in that area

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I lol'd at your reply. I hope he does have an amazing year gluing! :-)

Quoting illinoismommy83:

School supplies cost us $31. We could have cheaped out and made it cheaper I'm sure. (For example, 24 ct crayola are 50 cents and 48 ct Crayola are $3, but I figured the teacher wanted the color assortment.) Do I know what the teacher does with 60 boxes of Ziplock freezer bags? Probably portions her meat at home. Who cares, she is teaching my kid.

I think people just need to get over it. Save up, its no shock that your kids need school supplies. Put away a dollar per week per kid all year and magically you have money for school supplies. We don't need to raise taxes. We don't need to complain. Save up, fund your children's education.

As a side note: DD has been telling everyone that we needed 10 glue sticks and she thinks she is in for an amazing year full of gluing. Lol.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

It does matter. Thats thats the whole point of what i said.  Im not supporting other peoples children. Thats bull crap. Its wrong! She has a school box that is on the list and when she is done with her work then that pencil or crayon should go in her box. Its thier job to buy thier own kid thier own supplies. Money isnt easy with my family since i had to quit my job and if i have any left over then it will go to the next school yr for MY kid!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

In the end does it overly matter if a kid is using your daughter's pencils and crayons? As long as she has a pencil and crayon to use, isn't it all good?

I used to be all pissed over this... now I just don't see the point. If DD complains she has no pencils to use despite bringing in 4 dozen, I will gladly throw a fit. Until then, sharing seems to be more efficient. I imagine its easier on the teacher to just have a bucket of crayons for each table and a bucket of pencils and kids can put them back when done.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)