Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is there a drug to lengthen a short short fuse?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am so frustrated, tired and at my wits end all the time. I have two kids (2 and 5) and so do about a billion other moms who do not yell and lose their $h1t with their kids and husband every single day. I start the day trying to keep calm, have a proper perspective and have fun with beig a mom but by 6 pm (at the very latest) i am so wound up I am about to literally smash something into a wall. Not my kids or my husband. But I do plenty of snapping and yelling. 

Alcohol is not a remedy as I am allergic to it and can not function well even with one glass of wine or beer. Weed is not an option as it is illegal here. I am leery of prescription drugs because they are addictive and or harmful. But right now, i am strongly considering them. I have tried anti depressants years ago for stress and really they kind of made me zone out a bit. They didnt really work. I am scared of benzo drugs because they can be so damaging and addictive. I think. I haven't ever tried them.

Have any of you all found something that keeps that tight, overwhelmed feeling from happening? I so do not want to be a mean, fun crushing, mom and wife. That is not who i really am but it is who i have become somehow. And my family does not deserve it.

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Indiemom880
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry you're going through this!

I wish there was. I have a friend who has problems with anger and she struggles with it. It's a real biological problem and not something that people choose to experience.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Have you looked into therapy? They may have methods you can use to help deal with your anger.

You definitely have a leg up on other women in your situation. A lot of people who have anger issues don't recognize this and don't realize that it's a problem. They think they are being rational and they don't realize that they're ruining their relationships.

I'm sorry I don't have any better advice for you. I'm sure there are websites that specialize in this problem that could help you.

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Eliminating grains and dairy have helped with my mood a ton!

bipolar69mom
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:48 AM

This sounds like me when my kids were little...i found out I was bipolar.  So I took appropriate measures.  It took a while to find something that worked, but i am glad i did.  After 11 years we separated and the stress was out of control I was put on Ativan...it is addictive but it also helps with stress and if monitored by doctor you will be fine.  Any questions please feel free to ask :) Good luck!

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Passionflower herb and chasteberry extract. Works wonders, does not make you drowsy, and helps your body regulate its own hormones to lessen or eliminate PMS.
2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Marijuana, but you wont because its illegal... sigh propaganda sucks

{{hugs}}
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Talk to your doctor don't be afraid to try meds.
Colter
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I don't have any ideas on what you can take, but my thoughts were that maybe other changes would help.  They say exercising can relieve stress, and it did help me some.  Also, can you try training your kids to do help with some of the stuff around the house.  i have a four year old who 'helps' with some things.  She puts away any plastic dishes from the dishwasher, helps sort out socks/underwear from the laundry, she can cut up mushrooms and soft items when cooking, etc...Not only does this help keep her occupied (and not getting into other stuff that might set me off) she also feels happier herself.  

I know it might be harder with a 2 year old also, but I bet you could think of some things.  

Another thing that helps me is if I can just give myself 20-30 min. alone.  Sometimes I have to wake up super early to do this, but it still helps me to have a touch of private time.  

OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM
How about exercising as a stress reliever?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM
As I've gotten older I just don't let things bother me as much, I pick my battles and now I don't pick many, too exhausting. Talk to you doctor and see what she recommends.
EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Therapy plus drugs is the solution here-surely there are drugs which would help if the dosage is properly adjusted.  If taken as directed most drugs will not cause addiction.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)