Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

As a mother, how would you deal/ react with your own child saying this/ being an 'anti-natalist'?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM
  • 36 Replies

I came across this today on Yahoo answers  and it really hit me. My own 20  year old son has said almost exactly the same things and it just seems to be getting worse and worse. He refered to himself the other day as an anti-natalist, so I search the term and it's really heart wrenching and I feel like I should feel like  an awful person , for (sons words) not just  adopting and sparing  my son from this painful existance.  Below in black writing is the description in  the question I saw.

I do think my mother is an insufferable c*** for forcing this world onto me, I tell her every time I see her. I lay awake almost every night and I'm just mad at everything in my life and everything on TV. I have to be drunk or the torment is just constant. If you plan on worrying about your children, don't have them because they will suffer, get sick, people will hurt them and they will perish , fearing death their entire lives.

That's a huge burden for wanting to carry on the family name or wanting a birth experience isn't it?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thea11101981
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Ok yikes?

I'm not sure how to answer this one. I know that my CIL has said the same damn thing to his mother but thanx his father for taking him in. He's 18 and his father is in his 40's. I yelled at him once that his mom never learned how to just let go and allow the him to just be. He smokes, drinks, does drugs.. sex.. everything since he turned 16. Typical boy stuff.... you know? And basically I just told him that his father just gave up being a parent because he has a 15 yr old doing the same exact thing.. but she's been doing it since she was 13. idk...
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM
6 moms liked this

I would react with love, help and prayer.  That is depression as well as false thoughts straight from the evil one.  He needs help!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hmm. Sad he feels that way.

liels898
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I certainly wish my mother had aborted me or not tried to conceive. That being said, I don't hold any animosity to mothers or anyone trying to have a baby. If it weren't for them, our species would die out, plain and simple. But yes, some people just should never have the opportunity to bring life into this world when they have no way to provide or care for that life.
MichelleMc
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow that is rough & I don't know what you would say. People that blame their parents is a rough one. Life is about choices that a person makes, not blaming others. 

He surely needs help to move past it, and make choices in his life for himself, stop blaming others. 

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM
4 moms liked this

Sorry but I think this is just the attitude of selfish kids who have no clue that life is full of ups and downs, that you have to work at it and you cannot expect your parents to just hand you everything.  If they're doing drugs, etc. then THEY are the problem not necessarily their parents.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd say this person needs to see a psychiatrist. I'm sorry your son feels that way too. Please help him to get some help.

I know someone who considers themselves an anti-natalist, but more from the perspective that we're overtaxing our planet and there are plenty of children who need homes as it is. It sounds like this person is suffering from a serious physical or psychological issue.

Very sad.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM

That is sad that a child feels that way. I went through some tough times as a teen with depression, but came out of it.

Pollymom
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

What caused him to feel this way? I don't think it's normal and I've certainly never felt that way about my parents. I may have sarcastically said something similar as a moody and irrational teen, but never deep down in my heart. I had good parents. I believe I'm a fairly good parent - my kids are still little - LOL so who knows how they'll be as teens. But I can't imagine anyone really feeling this truly in their soul. I think the person may have some emotional or mental issues? I don't know....it would be sad to hear my child say such things. I love them so much that I'd wonder what had happened to turn them this way?

If my son was 20, and said all this to me, I'd suggest he move out and perhaps on his own, he can come to terms with his anger and figure out why he feels that way. Or start seeing a counselor or something?

godsgirl26
Happy thanksgiving :)
Today at 10:44 AM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting goddess99:

Hmm. Sad he feels that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN