Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

since we're on the topic of animals...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 4 Replies

I figured I'd share a few more stories about some of the animals that come through the apartment complex I live in :) 

The complex I live in is surrounded on three sides by woods, so it's a common occurance to have wild animals make their way through the complex itself coming from one side to the next. But everyone's personal favorite were Mr. and Mrs. Duck. As everyone knows, ducks mate for life. They literally live by the "till death do us part" vow and the complex is a five minute drive from a college campus that has a pond dead center of it. I've lived here for 14 years or so, and for as long as I can remember, this same duck couple would come into the complex every single summer. They became such a common fixture that we named them Mr. and Mrs. Duck. They were so accustomed to human contact that they would come to apartments and quack until someone would come out and feed them. (Not like anyone had a problem with that, haha!)

Then tragedy struck.

I was walking my daughter and three of her friends home from Preschool, which is located directly up the hill from the complex. Now; let me explain the set up of the complex. Where the only road is, there is a baseball field. It's not big by any means, mainly meant to be used by schools to hold football practice and baseball practice. When it rains, there is a section of this small field that floods and creates a tiny pond. As my daughter, her friends and I walked through the field to keep from walking on the road, we noticed that Mr. Duck was floating in the small pond that had formed when the winter snow melted, but his mate was no where to be seen. My daughter stopped and asked me where Mrs. Duck was, and I told her she could be in the complex looking for food and he could be waiting for her. That satisfied my daughter and she began walking. But I took notice of how Mr. Duck looked rather sad. His head was hung low and it sounded like he was grieving. 

It turns out that his mate, Mrs. Duck, had been killed earlier that day. We haven't seen him back in the complex since and it breaks everyone's heart when they hear about him, this beautiful and faithful duck, crying for the lose of his mate

I have another story about the deer family that seemed to keep coming into the complex and how they loved marshmellows. But that would be one for another time. 

- Rachael

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Aww poor duck. I never knew ducks mate for life, actually. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Aww =(

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Thanks for sharing. That is a sad story. I never knew ducks mate for life.
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Thanks for sharing :).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN