Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My husband thinks I should never have "me" time?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have 3 kids at home, and work full time. I do not drink or party, I'm 40 yrs old, so been there, done all that. All my mom friends have monthly gatherings at each others houses to hang out, and everyone brings a dish to eat. Or if there is a birthday, I may get an invite to go out to dinner with some girlfriends. My husband completely disagrees that I should ever want to be away from my children, even for 2 hours. He gives me guilt trips and tries to make me feel like a bad mom. He has no friends or desire to go anywhere other than work, so he doesn't understand why I might need a break. Am I wrong?
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

no he is. you are both entitled to time for yourself. just because he doesn't want to take his doesn't mean you don't get to take yours

KRIZZ25
not everyone's child should be treated special ..
Wednesday at 10:56 PM
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
sounds like he is a little invest of u..tell him ur not getting away ur just give kinds baby time.and he needs to get a hobby and get out once in a wile.
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM

No we all need me time.  I feel you mine is the same way except he thinks he should be able to have a break but I can't

luvmybug
by Amanda on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:31 AM
He couldn't BE more wrong. We, as mothers, need time away from our children every once in a while to remember who we are. It also gives us a chance to unwind and relax. Parenting can be very stressful and you need to find something to do as a release, or you will start to become bitter and resentful towards your partner, or even your children. Your house will start to feel like a prison, and you will start to show signs of depression and/or anxiety. Neither are good feelings and if severe enough will have a major negative impact on your family. Trust me, I know. My first husband was never around, but wouldn't allow me out of the house unless it was my mother's house and he was gone. It was very hard on me and as a result, I ended up taking up drinking as a kind of of self medicating thing. Needless to say, it impaired my abilities as a mother. And children need strong, healthy, loving parents. If he doesn't have any friends, why not suggest a date night and see how he reacts to that. If he is even opposed to that, then you have a whole new problem and need to talk it out. Why does he feel you need to stay locked in the house 24/7? *hugs*
-Amanda
USCGAMECOCK92
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM

No you are not wrong at all. Just because he doesn't have any friends or desire to go anywhere, doesn't mean you don't deserve a break for a few hours every so often. All parents need some down time from their children. It doesn't mean you don't love them, it just means you want to keep your sanity and nerves in check. My hubby tried this with me and I blew my stack and told him that if I didn't get some time for myself to get my hair done, that I was going to be a very cranky mommy and wife. Try seeking out some professional advice for both of your sake. It will be worth it in the long run. Good luck and God Bless!!

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Eek...how's your marriage? I mean, he's obviously seriously in the wrong on this issue, but it worries me that he disregards your needs in other areas too.

You need "me" time!!!

OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Agree

Quoting Janet:

Your not wrong. All moms need a break. It makes us better mothers when we get them too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
And I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
And I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
And I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)