Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Before you buy your kids sneakers...

Posted by   + Show Post
Ps the shoe store I buy my girls school shoes told me that younger girls are buying the sneakers with the hidden wedge inside so when they go to an amusement park they make the height requirement!

Can you imagine! How dangerous!
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Replies (131-139):
kailu1835
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM
By the way, the vast majority of rides do not have harnesses, but a simple cinch down lap belt that would fit my 3 year old or an obese adult. So that blows that argument out of the water.
esox
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yes, it kinda does make your legs be able to reach further. If it didn't, your feet wouldn't be able to touch the ground.... DUH! As long as you are able to brace yourself, you are safe. I once saw a man take off one prosthetic leg, still had his other leg and they wouldn't let him ride. His torso was still the same length, he was still the same height.... Just need to have two feet that reach the ground. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting esox:

Not really dangerous, If the wedge lets them plant their feet on the ground, then their feet are still on the ground. Where is the danger in that? When I was a little kid my mother stuffed Kleenexes in my shoes so I would be tall enough, now that is dangerous. After two hours standing in line those Kleenexes would have been flat! 

Yes really really dangerous. Making the distance between your feet and the ground longer doesn't make your legs or torso longer.....DUH

sha_lyn68
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM

No it doesn't. It has nothing to do with bracing yourself. It has to do with fitting the ride seat and constraints correctly. Taller shoes doesn't make you fit the seat better. It does nothing to increase the length of the legs from the hips to the knee (which is the part that needs to fit the seat bottom) and it does nothing to increase length of the spine and head (which is what is needed to fit the height of the seat). 

Quoting esox:

Yes, it kinda does make your legs be able to reach further. If it didn't, your feet wouldn't be able to touch the ground.... DUH! As long as you are able to brace yourself, you are safe. I once saw a man take off one prosthetic leg, still had his other leg and they wouldn't let him ride. His torso was still the same length, he was still the same height.... Just need to have two feet that reach the ground. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting esox:

Not really dangerous, If the wedge lets them plant their feet on the ground, then their feet are still on the ground. Where is the danger in that? When I was a little kid my mother stuffed Kleenexes in my shoes so I would be tall enough, now that is dangerous. After two hours standing in line those Kleenexes would have been flat! 

Yes really really dangerous. Making the distance between your feet and the ground longer doesn't make your legs or torso longer.....DUH

Love1baby7
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
This is actually not a new discovery!! kids are super smart and sneaky... Will do anything to be able to fit in. I actually witnessed this at orlando like 5yrs ago, a girl about 10 had girly heels on and was trying to get on a ride, attendant did not let her. I guess they also have knowledge of this. There is a height requirement for a reason, for those parents that think its ok!!!! 😤 Unless its ok for your baby to slip out of a stroller he is too young for.... Same premise!
I thought this was cafemoms not cafemorons!
God bless!
sha_lyn68
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Quoting kailu1835:

By the way, the vast majority of rides do not have harnesses, but a simple cinch down lap belt that would fit my 3 year old or an obese adult. So that blows that argument out of the water.

With a lap bar/lap belt only restraint system it is very important that the length of the legs from hip to knee be long enough that the knees bends at a 90degree angle. So the only thing "blown out of the water" is your ridiculous argument.

trayseehalf
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Never heard of it

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I've never heard that. 

WesternNYmom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I refuse to purchase these shoes for my daughter. All last year, i saw girls tripping over their own 2 feet while trying to run in those darn things. The nurse at dd's school was bandaging so many twisted ankles caused by  girls trying to get away with wearing them in gym class, that the principal sent a letter home telling parents that the sneakers with hidden wedges were now banned in school for safety reasons. It doesn't surprise me that girls are trying to make themselves taller in order to get on rides. Growing up,  I knew kids who used to put blocks in their shoes in order to add an inch or more to their height.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Dang!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)