Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she being inappropriate?

Posted by   + Show Post

My best friend has always had 2 girls only weekends a year. She has done this for as long as I can remember. I have even went with her on a few occasions. 

She is recently married. Her new husband thought that once they were married, her girls weekends would end. She has no intentions of ending something she has been doing for years. She even suggested he start taking a guys weekend with his friends.

He thinks that now that they are married, it is inappropriate for her to go away with her friends for a weekend twice a year.

Personally, I think it s fine. If it was more affordable for me, I would do it more often myself.

Do you have girls weekends away from your significant other? 

Do you think it is inappropriate to do so if you are in a committed relationship?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
Roo1234
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never done this, but I knew a lit of women who do. often it is shopping, spa, reminiscing and just done time to connect. Notreally s big deal to a strong marriage
LAXmom21
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I do it 3 or 4 times a year, DH does it twice a year. Not a big deal, no reason to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Well I am that case  ... it was okay with my ex-husband.  I used to go for girls night out a few times a year and once a year I'd do an overnighter or a weekend.  He did the same thing. 

But my (now) DH doesn't understand the need for a get-away weekend or even girls night out.  So I stopped doing it.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM

It is not inappropriate.  I don't have regular weekends away, but I have taken some here and there to visit family or have a shopping weekend with the girls.  Now that we have moved out of state and all my friends are still in Vermont, I can easily see this happening.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I haven't done that, but I don't feel that it is inappropriate.

He knew that she was doing this before they got married.  If he had an issue with it, the time to bring it up would have been before they got married.

I would personally continue if I had been doing so before I got married. Without asking permission.

I think he is being a bit selfish.

CafeMom Tickers
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I don't have girl weekends, but I see nothing wrong with it

Rach0307
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I think it's inappropriate for him to expect her to stop that! Now that she's married, she'll need that girl time even more so. It's a tradition and only twice a year. Perhaps it's times for him to put on his big boy pants and stop being so insecure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zetajen
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

i don't think it is inappropriate, but in marriage, we compromise. if this is a big deal to her DH, then she needs to respect that. is it the locations that bother him? the length of time? her actions? alcohol? if he can'pinpoint what about it bothers him, she can do what she can to make him feel more comfortable. Maybe he doesn't want his wife going to Vegas without him. but ski trip doesn't sound so bad. I think there is definitely room for them to both agree here.

married people need to be individuals as well as a couple. So i think it is great that she will continue her trips and that she suggests he do the same. But she needs to do what she can to get him on board with it.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Not inappropriate at all! A group of my best friends and I go away for a weekend about 3 or 4 times a year. Usually it's a spa weekend, full of massages and pampering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't find it inapporpriate. I do it if I can. My hubby always tells me to go and have lots of fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)