Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I'm having a heck of a time

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 9 Replies
My children are giving me a hard time about everything. From what clothes they are going to put on to what I made for breakfast.

My five year old is sill having meltdowns and my seven year old well that's a whole separate post in itself.

For the most part they are really good kids!
I've tried various techniques to get control over these issues but none of them worked for us.

I'm tired of being questioned,challenged, giving me a hard time from the moment we wake up. Oh and lets not forget to mention how my seven year old likes to correct me ( even if she's wrong) and contradict me constantly all day long.

I would live all suggestions.....
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Raeann11
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Do you let them have choices on what to wear or just let them pick out there own cloths.

Same thing for food. Give them choices, ask there thoughts on what they would like. If you plan your meals ahead of time. Ask when you are planning if they have any thoughts on what they would like.

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I do give them choices for clothin very morning and none of them are good enough

Regarding food my kids won't eat or try anything.....I'm at such a loss.

Quoting Raeann11:

Do you let them have choices on what to wear or just let them pick out there own cloths.

Same thing for food. Give them choices, ask there thoughts on what they would like. If you plan your meals ahead of time. Ask when you are planning if they have any thoughts on what they would like.

Raeann11
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Let them pick them out themselves. 

Do things you know they like. When they say they want something. Then make it. Then some nights you say we are having this. You have to try or take so many bits and get a treat. Which can be like a fruit or veggies. Let them know that it takes about 10 times to try something at different times before someone really knows if they like it or not. There has to be something they like.

Quoting rosiemarie:

I do give them choices for clothin very morning and none of them are good enough

Quoting Raeann11:

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Been there done that and I've been net with resistance every step of the way

I'm just tired that it also has to be such a battle.....

Quoting rosiemarie:

Quoting Raeann11:

ame85
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM
If they don't like the clothing choices, take away all but 7 outfits. One for each day. Ask them their thoughts for dinner. If they don't have any valid input, make what's available and they can choose to eat or be hungry. They won't die. Do not allow them in the kitchen after dinner unless they have eaten a suitable as amount. In our house it's a 2 bite minimum.
MamaTinie
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM

For clothes: let them pick thier own outfits as long as the shoes match eachother who cares?

For the food: they eat what you make or go hungry. Promise they will be fine, every child goes through the don't want this or that stage. We all came out of it fine.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I would pick two outfits out and let them pick from those! Same for dinner!

Momniscient
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Give them a choice. Broccoli or Cauliflower.

Red shirt or blue shirt.

Give them responsibilities that they can deal with. If they are 'too' picky then make them earn their clothes and meals. I don't mean in a restrictive sense, but give them chores and they can earn points toward grocery shopping or something like that.

Then take them to the store and tell them they can shop for dinner. Within reason of course. Same with clothes.

That way they aren't questioning your authority at every turn and they are learning the value of things.

OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM
This

Quoting Pammi86:

I would pick two outfits out and let them pick from those! Same for dinner!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN