Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Juice Fast Day 1

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello!  Some Moms in this group expressed an interest in a juice fast I was starting.  Today is my first day!  I'm color-coding this for those who don't want to read a book.  Blue is my reasons for fasting.  Purple are recipes.  Red will be my stats.  Green will be how I'm feeling that day.  So if you want to quickly check on any one aspect, just use the colors to get there quick.

My reasons for the fast:  (If you don't want to know the reasons, just scroll past the blue text!)

1.  DH and I want a third baby, but I have a condition called "Thrombophilia" *insert medical mumbo jumbo here* that makes my blood thicker and results in easier clots.  In my normal day to day life, this doesn't affect much, aside from not being able to tell if I need stitches when I get a nasty cut.  But when pregnant, clots can form in the placenta and kill the fetus.  I've lost a few babies this way before being diagnosed.  Technically, I can have a healthy pregnancy so long as I take blood thinners.  But blood thinners during pregnancy are a risk in and of themselves.  My doctors think that perhaps eliminating a lot of "impurities" in my diet could help with my blood consistency.  Some women with very healthy plant based diets were able to carry their babies while only taking a baby aspirin.  Currently, I'd need to take Warfarin.  There aren't enough studies done on the exact kind of Thrombophilia I have to really know for sure if it could work.  So, detox through juice fast, then go in for weekly blood draws to monitor the affect of my diet (if any) on my blood.

2.  I have stubborn belly fat.  And too much of it.  I worked hard to lose weight after my 2 surviving children were born.  I was high risk and put on bedrest a lot.  DH's idea of providing for us was takeout Chinese almost every night.  I did my best to eat the right portions and control, but since I had to rely on having food brought to me, it didn't work out very well.  Now, the fat that remains will NOT budge.  DH and I adopted a much healthier diet about 6 months back.  He lost 20 pounds, I remained the same.  I have PTSD from my time in the military, and my doctors believe the extra cortisol being produced in relation to the PTSD is making it harder for my body to shed fat.  However, whenever I have lost weight I have been able to maintain like a beast, so they believe if I can jumpstart my body into finally touching those remaining reserves I'll be able to lose the weight at an easier, more controlled pace going forward.  I'm in therapy for the PTSD, as well as working on visualization to try and help my subconscious recognize that despite the "stress hormones" I'm not experiencing a famine.

3.  I started getting massive headaches.  Not migraines, but headaches.  Again, I was on medication for the PTSD and not eating well.  I asked my doctors if it could have to do with negative reactions to food additives and such, and they said so long as we were doing the fast it was a theory worth exploring.

So today is my first day.  I cannot eat ANY solids for 14 days.  I will get all my nutrition from juicing organic fruits and vegetables.  I will continue to post my stats for a week after the fast, to show if any weight is coming back on.

So far, it sucks.  I'm starving.  I'm having a lot of cravings.  It is difficult having to cook and prepare food for the children without wanting to steal a bite.  The juicer is annoying to keep clean.  DH is even talking about buying a better juicer, though I thought the one we have was pretty good.  It was a great juicer until I started having to make my meals completely out of it.  I have a headache, and my children are pushing my buttons.  I have diminished cognitive abilities.  Namely, my handwriting and spelling have gone to hell.  I feel irritable.  I have very little energy.  Spellcheck is being given a run for the money!  According to juicing forums, this unpleasant phase generally only lasts 3-4 days.  Don't worry about my children, I have lots of activities (that I don't need to do much for) planned to keep them occupied and DH is helping when he's home from work.

The juices aren't awful.  I'm certainly learning the ropes as far as flavor balance.

I'll update with a before pic, and my current measurements, as soon as DH is around to help me measure and take pics.

Wish me luck!

Juice recipes for today for those interested:

Banana Boost:
1 small banana
1 Granny Smith Apple
5 chunks of mango (1 inch cubes roughly)
1 Handful Raspberries
2 Carrots
1 Handful Spinach
2 Celery Stalk
1 Cucumber

Purple Power:
2 Celery Stalks
1/2 Carrot
1 Handful Spinach
1 Cucumber
1 Beet
1 Granny Smith Apple
1/4 Head Red Cabbage
1" Ginger Root

Jolt:
2 Granny Smith Apples
1 Orange
1 Cucumber
1/4 lemon"
Big Handful Spinach or Kale

Tornado Juice:
1 Orange
1 Granny Smith Apple
1/4 Lemon
1" Ginger Root
1 Carrot
1 Big Handful Spinach
2 Celery Stalks
1 Handful Cherry Tomatoes
1 Cucumber

I serve some hot or cold.  I'm allowed to season with pepper or herbs, but no salt, sugar, or honey. I need at least 4-6 "meals" of 16-24 oz each.  Though honestly, I've been told I can drink all I want.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
moroccanmommy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Be close to toliet.....you will need it by tomorrow!
After the third day you wont crave as bad....
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Thanks.  lol

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Be close to toliet.....you will need it by tomorrow!
After the third day you wont crave as bad....

txmom8403
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I would LOVE to try this. Thanks!!!!
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM

TFS!!

Junebaby18
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:45 AM
If you aren't getting a minimum of (I believe 1200-1800) calories per day, your body is going to be storing the little you get as fat. That will defeat the purpose of what you're doing.
simple_ole_me
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I started one on the 1st as well. I'm shooting for 15 days; although, at this point - I'm just taking it day by day. If I make it that far, great. If not, I'm not beating myself up over it. I've never done one before so I eased into it. I had been juicing once or twice a day consistently for two months or so (with much improvement on some of my nagging health issues). I thought this was a crazy idea a month ago, but the more documentaries I watch and books I read, I really felt it was worth a shot. Like you, I'm not doing this for weight loss (I don't even own a scale). I'm doing this for health and I fully intend on changing my whole lifestyle after the fast is over.  Up until this morning, I have felt pretty decent. I had cravings the first day and a bit yesterday, but nothing too awful. I did resort to a few raw green beans and a couple almonds, but other than that, I've done pretty good. This morning, I woke up quite shaky and light headed. I almost gave into eating as I was feeling really bad. I didn't know if it was my blood sugar or what. I ended up juicing 32 ounces of cucumber, parsley, spinach, kale, apple, lemon, and ginger followed by 32 ounces of water. It's almost 2pm now and I just had another large juice. I am feeling quite good now. I can't wait to see what this does for me!

Good luck on your journey as well! Keep us posted!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

TFS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)