Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Last week at dd's well child visit, her doc gave us the option of melatonin. I know what it is, but I'm curious about how it's worked for other moms.

Background on dd. We've always had sleep issues with her. Bedtime has always been at 8 pm, and we've always done a bedtime routine. She just doesn't go to sleep. She's in and out of our room 20 different times with 20 different excuses. That's not the issues..the issue is that it'll be 11 o'clock at night and she's still awake. It's like she just stays wound up. I brought it up at her 4 year well child visit, and we decided to wait a year and see how she did with preschool and if that would wear her out. It did a little, but we still had the sleep issues.

The doc gave us the option of melatonin, but also said we could wait and see how she does with kindergarten. She wants us to know what our options are. It would only be 1 milligram of melatonin if we went that route. I really don't want to use medicine to get her to sleep---I do understand that we produce melatonin, so it's not necessarily medicating, but still...I just don't know what to do otherwise. If it keeps up, she's going to be struggling to get up and get ready for school. Most days she's really crabby and it makes for a hard day anyway because she needs more sleep.

What are your experiences with it?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Replies (11-12):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It works great for my 9 year old DGS. It's a natural product not a medicine.

wmmom06
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM

It worked great for my DS when we started. I don't give it to him in the summer, cause I could care less if he is up all night. He has his own room and he has t.v. with a dvd player he knows how to use. He doesn't have cable.  I start giving it to him about a week before school starts up again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN