Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Peanut safe ugh

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 88 Replies
My dd school is "peanut safe" which means nothing made from peanuts or tree nuts can enter the building.

Both my dd are picky eaters. They do not like cold
Cut sandwiches and they can't bring in leftovers cause they are not allowed to heat them up....

I understand the deadly affect nuts have on those who unfortunately have the allergy but what about my girls?? I feel as though my girls rights are being infringed upon. If they were able to bring peanut butter I know they would be eating lunch and getting some protein.

One daughter doesn't eat cheese ....what am I supposed to feed them??

Do any of you have this situation at your school? What are your thoughts??
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Would they eat the school's hot lunch? At my dd's school there are 3 different lunches to pick from everyday so she always eats there. Otherwise hard boiled eggs have protein. I used to pack hard salami chunks, crackers, apple, grapes, water.

goldilocksbecky
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

My DS is a great eater but has never been a fan of sandwiches.  Most days he takes a yogart, a cheese stick, fruit, veggie and a baked goodie or treat.  It's enough to hold him during the day and then he just eats a good breakfast, after school snack and dinner.  Occasionally I'll do chips and salsa for him. 

You can also do hot foods in a hot food thermos.  Soup, spaghetti, ravioli, stirfry, mac and cheese, leftovers, etc.  Put super hot water in the thermos and let it sit for a few minutes to heat the insulation.  Then add hot food and put the lid on.  It will still be warm at lunch time.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Soup in a thermos.

jett286
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Tuna sandwiches, eggsalad sandwiches.....yogurt, string cheese, food that doesnt have to be heated...

rosiemarie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM
They won't eat soup

Quoting aj_mom:

Soup in a thermos.

rosiemarie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Love the ideas but they won't eat than or eggs any which way

Quoting jett286:

Tuna sandwiches, eggsalad sandwiches.....yogurt, string cheese, food that doesnt have to be heated...

CJsMommy622
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Sunbutter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Spagettios, raviolis, ramen noodles, casseroles, etc. anything like that, that can be put in a thermos.

Quoting rosiemarie:

They won't eat soup

Quoting aj_mom:

Soup in a thermos.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I've been dealing with this as well for years now ... Here's how I dealt with it - hopefully it helps you a bit !!

I bought a good Thermos and I give her soup, spaguetti, left overs (anything saucy) if you pour boiling water in the thermos before and put food in really hot it does keep the food hot - but invest in a decent Thermos.

With a good Ice Pack on hand and an insulated lunch box I give her sandwiches (turkey, ham, egg salad, tuna  etc) I also do wraps.  Somedays I give her hard boiled eggs, a salad or even pita and dip.  I do tomato pizza (italian style). 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I always pack DD some fresh fruit, fresh veggies, a yogurt or other dairy, a juice and a "main course" and a dessert.  She's not big on sandwiches either but over the years we found what works.  Sometimes I'll do pasta salad too !  Yes it sucks and yes you are going to have to be inventive and your girls are gonna have to deal - there's no way around it ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)