Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

conversation between my friend and I

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
  • 30 Replies
4 moms liked this

So my best friend and I were talking the other day about our children. Her son is 7 months younger than my daughter, and she was telling me how her son's therapist wants him tested for ADD. That brought up the subject of my daughter, who is diagnosed ADHD, ODD, borderline OCD, Severe Anxiety/Panic disorder with a tick of chewing/eating inanimate objects. She asked why I (and my daughter's father) chose to have her unmedicated (for her ADHD), and I said this:

"Kennadie wouldn't be Kennadie if she wasn't the way she is. She's my Kennadie, my bubbly, outgoing, bouncing off the walls little girl. Why alter that? We've found ways outside of medication to help her cope and as long as her next teacher is willing to listen, understand, and help when needed, I believe we will be 100% fine." 

She didn't know what to say to that. I'm not against medicating, since she is medicated for her other issues, but her father (who is ADHD medicated) wanted to go the opposite route of what he had to go through. And I agreed with him. If, in the future, our tactics aren't working anymore, then medication will be introduced. But she's 6 year old and she's thriving just fine with what we've been doing. So, as I said, why alter that for her? 

(Her father and I, though not together, have a fantastic relationship :3) 

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mxcanapochamama
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Way to go, I think your so right.  I my self dont have any kids with conditions but I use to work in a daycare center where we had all diff kids and they were all very unique and loving kids. Although some days it was hard with some of them, we never had to deal with a serious complication. Kids should be left to be kids no unnecessary alternation. 

MamìMexicana?

mami286
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

i also agree :)

Quoting mxcanapochamama:

Way to go, I think your so right.  I my self dont have any kids with conditions but I use to work in a daycare center where we had all diff kids and they were all very unique and loving kids. Although some days it was hard with some of them, we never had to deal with a serious complication. Kids should be left to be kids no unnecessary alternation. 

kewimom
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As a parent you need to do what you think is best for YOUR child.  Every child is different.  Meds are not always the best route to go.  There is always other choices.  Watch the nutrition, possibly chiropractic, (I used to work for a Chiropractor, I saw it help with one child).  Sometimes it takes a village as they say.  Consistancy helps.  Good for you.  It is nice to avoid meds it and when you can.

RachynKennie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Medicating was the first conversation her father and I had when we saw the signs. I didn't think about taking her to a chiro, I might have to look into that! She lives off a routine, so there is a LOT of consistancy in her life. This child can tell you what she has to do day in and day out. I'm doing what I can to make sure she's able to thrive :) And thank you for the "good for you.", I appreciate that. 

Quoting kewimom:

As a parent you need to do what you think is best for YOUR child.  Every child is different.  Meds are not always the best route to go.  There is always other choices.  Watch the nutrition, possibly chiropractic, (I used to work for a Chiropractor, I saw it help with one child).  Sometimes it takes a village as they say.  Consistancy helps.  Good for you.  It is nice to avoid meds it and when you can.

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Thank you for sharing.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I agree. I'm against medicating children for stuff like that. I see too many zombies walking around my dd's school because the parents are too lazy busy to find another way.

RachynKennie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

You're welcome :) 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Thank you for sharing.

RachynKennie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That's my biggest fear when it comes to my DD. The zombie affect that this medication can have on her. I have a friend who has THREE DD's with ADHD and she's told me about the affects it had when getting her two eldest on the medication. Even one of my friends is ADHD and she's explained it all. They all agree that trying it without first is better than depending on the medication. And if she needs the medication down the line, when all our attempts have been exhausted, then I'll turn to it. But why now when what we're doing is having a positive outcome? 

Quoting goddess99:

I agree. I'm against medicating children for stuff like that. I see too many zombies walking around my dd's school because the parents are too lazy busy to find another way.

RachynKennie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I agree :) And DD has good days, and she has bad days. Today was a good day- one set back that was easily handled with a time out and she was perfectly fine afterwards. 

Quoting mxcanapochamama:

RachynKennie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Thank you :) 

Quoting mami286:

i also agree :)

Quoting mxcanapochamama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)