Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

breast feeding question

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 17 Replies

okay with DD i tried to breast feed but she wouldnt latch right i was just 18 atm she was born so i didnt push the issues i just pumped well i wasnt getting hardly any out at the hospital so the nurses talked me into supplementing well when the milk starting flowing i pumped and bottle fed, well at first it was okay then as days went on she would take 2 ounces, then 2 more and then even more. does that mean she isnt getting enough?

is that a good thing? a bad thing? idk im wanting to breast feed DS but idk is there a cut off limit for how much breast milk u feed ur baby? how do i know when its too much i mean do i just feed him the breast milk until he is done do i limit WHAT DO I DO? lol

so confused :/

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1RockinMommy
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Babies will gradually eat more and more each feeding as they get older...it's normal. If you're trying to figure out what to do for feeding the baby you're expecting...just because you ended up not being able to breastfeed with your first doesn't mean you can't again with your second. I'd give it a try again instead of pumping right away. I had a horrible time with my first and pumped for the first 6 months before I just gave up altogether and switched to formula. Then with my second he latched right away and I was able to breastfeed for almost 15 months. With my third he was jaundiced really bad and I had a horribly discouraging pediatrician and I ended up giving up again and going to formula. You really never know with each child. Just stay positive and do what will be best for you emotionally. Good luck!

jeneefirstime
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:12 AM
First congrats on wanting to breast feed. It's not as easy as some make it look. I breast feed for a year. Your baby will eat more as time goes by. If you want them to have breast milk you gotta make sure you give that more than the supplemen. And keep trying to make them feed off you, some take more time learning what to do. Your doing great keep it up!!!
mileysmom331
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
do i just let him eat until he stops eating and as often as he wants? and DD was jaundiced and the nurses that were in the hospital with me were not helpful at all. apparently they get something out of telling u u have to formula feed(atleast thats what the breast feeding person told me at wic)
Quoting 1RockinMommy:

Babies will gradually eat more and more each feeding as they get older...it's normal. If you're trying to figure out what to do for feeding the baby you're expecting...just because you ended up not being able to breastfeed with your first doesn't mean you can't again with your second. I'd give it a try again instead of pumping right away. I had a horrible time with my first and pumped for the first 6 months before I just gave up altogether and switched to formula. Then with my second he latched right away and I was able to breastfeed for almost 15 months. With my third he was jaundiced really bad and I had a horribly discouraging pediatrician and I ended up giving up again and going to formula. You really never know with each child. Just stay positive and do what will be best for you emotionally. Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mileysmom331
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
thanks :) and basically dont worry about how much he is eating just let him eat?
Quoting jeneefirstime:

First congrats on wanting to breast feed. It's not as easy as some make it look. I breast feed for a year. Your baby will eat more as time goes by. If you want them to have breast milk you gotta make sure you give that more than the supplemen. And keep trying to make them feed off you, some take more time learning what to do. Your doing great keep it up!!!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not sure what you are asking.  Sometimes latching can be hard in the begining, especially if baby is induced (born before ready to be born), a c-section or if mom has an epidural or other drugs during labor.  Another big reason for latch issues is a lip-tie or tongue-tie in the baby.  If you are having latch issues, it's important to get help from an IBLC (type of lactation consultant) right away.  She can evaulate the latch as well as the baby's tongue/lip.  Usually it can be resolved easily. 

The baby is born with an extremely small stomach and actually is buitl to survive on just tiny drops of colostrum.  There is no need for baby to have a full bottle at that time.  Here is a good image to explain how big the baby's stomach is and how much they need to drink:

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Every medical organization recommends that babies be breastfed "on demand".  This means you nurse often, whenever the baby wants.  Do not wait for the baby to cry.  Crying is a late-stage sign of hunger.  Baby will let you know by something called "rooting", when he/she turns head to the size and opens mouth, often shaking head side to side, or putting hand in mouth.  You can't overfeed a breastfed baby with nursing.  They stop when they are done and if they do swallow more than needed, it is spit back up.

Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I'm breastfeeding my lil guy on demand and wait til he stops on one side, then I offer the other side. He usually comes every 2-3 hours but also 4 hours stretches are in between. He's almost 11 month now and is eating solids here and there and can drink out of a regular water bottle if he wants.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You nurse on one side until the baby stops then switch sides. The more you nurse the more milk your body will produce. Feed the baby whenever he want to eat not by the clock. Your body will produce enough milk if you nurse this way.

lizard3731
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I breastfed all three of my children.  I think you're asking since you can't really tell how much the baby's eaten, you don't know if they've had enough.  With formula, you can say, "Oh, she's had 4 ounces" or whatever.  But with breastfeeding you can't tell.  I just fed them until they seemed done. My middle child used to nurse for a few minutes, act done and then want to eat a few minutes later, but we just worked through it as best we could.  It would have been hard to do that if I'd been working, but was okay as a SAHM.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Diaper count is the only true indication of how much the baby is getting. The first week, you want one diaper on day one, two on day two, etc. Once the baby is a week old, you want 6-8 diapers per day, with a couple of quarter sized poops. Extra wet and poopy diapers count as two. Read all you can on kellymom.com, and come on over to the Breastfeeding Moms group!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)