Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

what kinds of Q's to ask ?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hey everyone !!!

Im winding down in my pregnancy and making final preparations ... I start my birth class this week, going on hospital tour and have to go register baby at pediatricians ... So knowing there's moms in this group in various stages of motherhood i wanted some advice as to what kinds of questions should i be asking or things I should find out when i go on the hospital tour, birth class, and pediatrician's office ? Sugestions ??? Im going to write them down and take my list with me ... lol ... yeah im one of those ... This is my first so, sooo many things are going to have the element of surprise hence im trying to learn as much as possible so i can be as prepped as i can :)

Thanks Moms for your help !!!

A+C=LOVE ... married 8-9-11 ... Expecting our first sept 2013 !!!

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a Birth Plan in writing...my ob/gun recommend it.Transition went smoothly...For me I felt more relaxed during labor..delivery and hospital stay
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my baby quite a while ago so I'm probably not the best to answer this but I remember asking if you would have a room to yourself or share, what I could bring to the hospital ~ things like if I could bring music I wanted to listen to etc.., I asked if my baby could stay with me or if she had to stay in the nursery, who could be in the room with me. But this was 11 years ago. Oh I do remember that babies go to the ped. often in the 1st few months, at least they used to, so I asked for a doctor who wasn't always full of appointments. I wanted to be able to get in when it was needed, not when they had time. So I got a newer doctor to that office, not one who had been there 30 years.

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Choosing a doctor for your baby

Reviewed by the BabyCenter Medical Advisory Board
En español

Choosing the right doctor for your baby is an important decision: You'll be visiting the doctor's office six times in the first year for routine well-baby visits alone. It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the choice, but with a little homework and legwork, you should be able to find one you like and trust.

Guide to Firsts: Doctor visit

Prepare for your baby's doctor
visit
 with our handy checklist

When should I begin my search for a doctor?

Some parents know which doctor or practice they want for their baby before they even conceive. But many start the search during pregnancy and arrive at a decision when they're seven or eight months along.

Making a decision well before labor and delivery allows for an informed, well-considered choice. It's a good idea to start compiling a list of candidates about four months before your due date.

What kind of practitioner should I look for?

Many parents take their baby to a pediatrician, a doctor who specializes in the care of children. Focusing on children's health and practicing with kids each day gives pediatricians a leg up when it comes to expertise on children's medical issues.

Other parents prefer a family practitioner, a doctor specializing in family medicine who can treat the whole family, from birth to old age. One advantage these parents point to is that the family practitioner should be well versed in health issues that pertain to your entire family (genetic diseases, for example).

Either type of doctor is fine, as long as you feel comfortable and confident about your child's care.

Where can I get names of doctors to consider?

You can ask your obstetrician or midwife for recommendations, for starters. Hospitals, insurance companies, and medical schools also provide referrals to doctors.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) offers referrals to certified practitioners on its website. Certification by the AAP means that the doctor has graduated from an accredited medical school, completed an accredited residency program, and passed the board exam in pediatrics.

And be sure to ask your local experts — friends, relatives, neighbors, and co-workers with kids who share your parenting philosophies and general outlook on life.

How will I know if a doctor recommended by someone else will be suitable for us?

People look for different things in doctors, and what's most important for you may not even be on someone else's radar. So rather than just gathering a list of names, try asking some probing questions of whoever makes the recommendation, such as:

• How does your child respond to the doctor?
  • Does the doctor seem to enjoy working with children?
  • Does the doctor seem to know about the latest medical advances?
  • Does the doctor welcome questions?
  • Does the doctor take time to discuss problems and listen to your concerns?
  • If it's a group practice, do you know and like the other doctors?
  • Is the office staff patient and helpful?
  • How long do you usually have to wait?
  • Is the waiting room pleasant and kid-friendly?
  • Is parking plentiful and convenient?
  • Is there anything you don't like or wish was different about your child's doctor or her practice?

The answers you get can help narrow your list to the handful of doctors you'd like to meet in person.

I have some promising candidates. Now what should I do?

Before going a step further, make sure all the doctors you're considering are taking on new patients and will accept your health insurance. And although this might seem unnecessarily cautious, it's wise to check with your state medical board to find out whether any doctor you're interested in has been disciplined for wrongdoing.

Next, look over your list and note which doctors have convenient locations and office hours. The best doctor in the city can lose her luster if her office is hard to get to (imagine driving at rush hour with a sick and miserable child).

The next step is visiting your top prospects at their office. Only a face-to-face meeting will show you whether this doctor has the warmth, sensitivity, and professionalism you're seeking.

Most offices will accommodate your request for an interview with the doctor, although some practices charge for it. (If this is the case, find out ahead of time whether your insurance company will pay for the meeting. Some will if it's billed as an office visit.)

How do I interview a doctor?

Keep in mind — especially if you tend to feel intimidated by doctors — that you'll be hiring this person as a professional to provide care for your baby. Arrive with specific questions about the topics that are most important to you. Here are some possibilities:

• Which hospital is the doctor affiliated with?
  • Will the doctor (or someone else in the practice) see your newborn in the hospital or will the first contact be an office visit?
  • Do the doctor's hours suit your schedule? You might prefer one who works certain days of the week or who offers evening or Saturday-morning hours.
  • How does the office handle telephone inquiries? Does it set aside specific times for parents to call in with questions or is there an open advice line during office hours? And if staff members handle the inquiries, do they dispense their own advice or relay the doctor's?
  • Does the doctor accept and answer questions by email?
  • How long does it take to get a non-emergency appointment with the doctor?
  • How are appointments handled for children who are sick? Is there good chance your child will get to see his own doctor?
  • Are there separate well-baby and sick-baby waiting rooms?
  • Is the staff warm and helpful?
  • How do you reach the doctor if your child gets sick after hours? When your doctor is not on call, who covers? (Some doctors send patients to urgent care clinics, for example, while others will meet you at the office even at night.)
  • Does the doctor have a subspecialty or an area of interest?
  • How does the practice handle payments, billing, laboratory charges, and insurance claims?
  • Do you and the doctor have similar views on topics such as circumcision, breastfeeding, immunizations, alternative medicine, and parenting issues such as attachment parenting, co-sleeping, single parenthood, and daycare? If not, is the doctor open to — and supportive of — other opinions and approaches?
  • Pay attention to such intangibles as the doctor's style. Do you want a doctor who offers choices and lets you decide which one works best for you — or would you be more comfortable with one who gives a lot of direction?
  • Take note of the overall atmosphere of the office. Is it clean, warm, and inviting?
  • Was parking a problem?

How will my child's doctor know I've delivered my baby?

The hospital will ask you for your doctor's name when you check in, and many hospitals notify the doctor when your baby's born. Some doctors visit newborns in the hospital (or send another doctor from the practice) while others won't see you until you bring your baby in for the first office visit.

In many instances, the hospital's pediatrician will take care of newborns until they're discharged — either instead of or in addition to the babies' own doctors.

What should I do if I'm not entirely happy with the doctor I choose?

Talk to the doctor about your concerns. As uncomfortable as it may feel, if the problem can't be resolved or your worries aren't addressed, don't hesitate to change doctors. You need to have a doctor you can count on and communicate with when it comes to your baby's health.

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Here are 40 Questions To Ask While Touring Birthing Facilities Or Maternity Wings:

1. If I believe I am in labor, where will I initially be examined? Will I have to wait in a general waiting area, triage, or will I be brought to a private room?
  2. How many births take place here on average, each day?
  3. What percentage of women here have c-sections?
  4. Do you utilize students or residents?
  5. Are there any situations that may take me away from my birth partner?
  6. Are there any restrictions on who is allowed in the room during birth? How many people can be with me?
  7. How comfortable is the hospital with natural births?
  8. Am I able to avoid having an IV upon entering, and have a Hep Lock instead? (or nothing at all)
  9. Can I eat and drink during labor?
  10. How often are you fetal monitoring?
  11. Can I walk and move around during labor? Am I just allowed to walk around my room? If I can walk around elsewhere, show me where laboring mothers walk.
  12. Is there a tub or shower available for me during labor? Is it in my room, or shared by the entire floor? If it is shared, how often are women are turned away from using it because someone beat them to it?
  13. What is the average time a laboring mother needs to wait for an epidural?
  14. What positions do you allow mothers to give birth?
  15. What birthing tools are available? Birth balls, birth stools, etc?
  16. What is your policy on photography or videography during labor?
  17. Will I be in one room during my entire stay, or will I be moved to a separate postpartum room?
  18. Will I have a private tub or shower for my postpartum room, or will I have to share?
  19. Will I have to share a room with another family?
  20. What is your policy on baby care immediately after birth? If my baby needs to be checked, weighed, or placed in a heater - will he be taken out of my room? Or will the examinations take place in my room?
  21. Make sure to assess the rooms. Do you feel comfortable there?
  22. Where will your birth partner sit and sleep during your stay? Have them try out the chairs.
  23. How does the hospital support breastfeeding? Who will be there to guide you, shortly after your baby is born? Is support offered seven days a week?
  24. Does the hospital support supplementing breastfeeding with formula?
  25. Does the hospital support formula feeding?
  26. Can I have my child immediately placed skin to skin after a c-section?
  27. Can I choose to breastfeed immediately after a c-section?
  28. Is there a newborn intensive care unit (NICU)?
  29. Are there any situations where my baby would need to be transferred to another facility?
  30. What security measures are there? Do people have to be buzzed in, are there security guards, and is a device placed on your tiny baby to make sure he can not leave the floor?
  31. Are there specific hours for visiting? Do you allow young children to visit?
  32. Does the hospital encourage the baby rooming in with the parents, or do they encourage the baby to stay in the nursery?
  33. Is there access to the Internet?
  34. Is there valet? At what times?
  35. Will we have a TV? What channels?
  36. Is there a CD or MP3 player in the labor room?
  37. Do you have an option for a special "stork dinner" during our stay?
  38. Is there a cafe? What time does the hospital kitchen close?
  39. What time of day does discharge generally occur? Families are often allowed to stay 48 hours post vaginal delivery, and 4 days post c-section.
  40. What follow-up support do you offer for new parents? Can I call, at any time, if I have questions or need emotional support?
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully those help you add a few more to your list. I saw some good questions on there. :)

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on what you are wanting out of the birth.  For the hopsital tour, I would definitely ask about the postpartum procedures, if you can hold your baby skin to skin right away for at least an hour, if there is an IBLC on staff.  For the pediatrician's office, I would ask if the drs know about proper intact care and get details on that....sometimes there are still some clueless drs out there!

Pam_8787
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I agree with everything they said. I honestly would also talk about the emergency procedure. Not to scare you but so you can be prepared in case of any type of an emergency.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It looks like the mamas pretty much covered everything. Don't you think so?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN