Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sometimes they get it right...even when it's wrong.

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM
  • 67 Replies
19 moms liked this

I gotta admit, I'm quite proud of my oldest son (12) and youngest son (7) today.  While outside playing they decided to play "rock ball", a game they made up at the lake...where it is acceptable...by the lake.  However, this was next to the apartment building.  Needless to say, a neighbor's window was broken and he could have completely gotten away with it.  I was inside washing dishes, hubby was at work and my daughter was working on some new arts and crafts at the table.  No one at the other apartment had heard anything as it was a back bedroom.  

My two boys come up to the house and I knew they had done something but was thinking it was more along the lines of, "I hit my brother over a toy".  Which is fairly typical.  lol  Nope.  He fessed up, 100%.  He told me they had been playing rock ball, even though they knew they weren't supposed to, and had broken a window.  I asked him what he thought he should do, and he said he should tell the neighbor it was him but he was scared.  So...I walked over with them, they knocked on the door and told the neighbor what happened and that they were very sorry and they would help pay for it with their allowance.  (the apt complex will cover all costs, but the boys don't know that.  lol) 

What did upset me was that the neighbor started screaming at them, calling them punks and jerks.  My boys stood there quietly while he yelled and while I reminded him that they were still pretty young and still learning about being accountable.  He glared at me and told me I needed to teach my kids better.  Now mind you....this is the man who's sons ding dong ditch, flip people off, and key cars in the parking lot.  We thanked him politely for being so understanding and patient with two young, scared boys and helping them learn the value of accountability.  Then we left.

For their punishment, they were grounded from everything for the rest of the weekend, but for their honesty they are not grounded for two weeks and having to do everyone's chores with their own chores.  They will be doing extra jobs around the house to pay for the window (even though the apt complex will pay for it...they still need to learn to make amends) and they learned two very important lessons today:  1.  Do not play rock ball near the buildings.  2.  Even when someone is yelling at you you are the one who is in charge of you and your emotions.  Best to keep them in control and accept that not everyone is going to be as understanding or patient as you want them to be.  lol  (note:  I said "want them to be"....the man was certainly entitled to be angry about the broken window.  However, I had hoped since he wasn't the one who would pay for it and given the age of the boys, he would be stern but teach them the importance of honesty and at least thank them for that.)

Newho...just had to share, I am incredibly proud of them for owning a mistake and being honest.  Lets me know they are growing up right and are going to be some very fine men when they grow up.  :)

**EDIT**

Oh my goodness, I was not expecting so many replies when I got home from work!  lol  Or to be a feature.  O.O  I will try to get back to as many as possible, but I really didn't expect more than just a few responses. lol

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LCG83
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:13 AM
18 moms liked this
Sound like two good kids you've raised. Sorry that man was such a prick about it. :(
Scinn
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:18 AM
4 moms liked this

Yeah, I was hoping he would be a bit nicer about it.  But, they gotta learn that there are nice people and mean people, good people and bad people and everything in between.  Best to learn how to handle the bad now instead of later lol

Quoting LCG83:

Sound like two good kids you've raised. Sorry that man was such a prick about it. :(

bluebunbun
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Aww I'd have expected him to be nicer as well..anyway good job mama

catevincesmom
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
5 moms liked this

Sounds like you've done a great job w/ your boys.  You have every right to be proud. 

fliptopz4
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Why wouldn't you have to pay the apartment management back for the repair to the window? I understand they have to fix it but shouldn't you have to fess up to them and pay for it?  Its still was Nice that your boys went to the tenant and apologized.

djscinnabun
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry the neighbor wasn't necessarily helpful, but then, it goes to show people won't always be reasonable about mistakes either. Good for you for teaching your boys to be accountable and responsible for their actions! 

bbysqd
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Kudos to your boys and to you for making them own up to their mistake. However, I don't think I would have allowed a grown man to yell at my kids. I would have reminded the man that they are children and could have easily not told you. I would have also reminded the man about the little "punk" that he calls his son. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue.
Scinn
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
No I called the manager but it falls into our renter insurance we pay every month. It's included with our rent so they are covering it.

Quoting fliptopz4:

Why wouldn't you have to pay the apartment management back for the repair to the window? I understand they have to fix it but shouldn't you have to fess up to them and pay for it?  Its still was Nice that your boys went to the tenant and apologized.

Scinn
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM
6 moms liked this
Oh I reminded him. But I didn't want the boys to see me lose my cool and start yelling back. The best revenge sometimes is nothing more than a kind word and a sweet smile. Lol

Quoting bbysqd:

Kudos to your boys and to you for making them own up to their mistake. However, I don't think I would have allowed a grown man to yell at my kids. I would have reminded the man that they are children and could have easily not told you. I would have also reminded the man about the little "punk" that he calls his son. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue.

ReeseStrickland
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM
5 moms liked this

Well the man was a dick, and this is why kids won't fess up to mistakes a lot. Adults want to pretend they never make any.  I tell my kids, it's okay you spilled that on the carpet, now please clean it up like I do when I spill.

But you've got some good kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN