Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sometimes they get it right...even when it's wrong.

Posted by   + Show Post

I gotta admit, I'm quite proud of my oldest son (12) and youngest son (7) today.  While outside playing they decided to play "rock ball", a game they made up at the lake...where it is acceptable...by the lake.  However, this was next to the apartment building.  Needless to say, a neighbor's window was broken and he could have completely gotten away with it.  I was inside washing dishes, hubby was at work and my daughter was working on some new arts and crafts at the table.  No one at the other apartment had heard anything as it was a back bedroom.  

My two boys come up to the house and I knew they had done something but was thinking it was more along the lines of, "I hit my brother over a toy".  Which is fairly typical.  lol  Nope.  He fessed up, 100%.  He told me they had been playing rock ball, even though they knew they weren't supposed to, and had broken a window.  I asked him what he thought he should do, and he said he should tell the neighbor it was him but he was scared.  So...I walked over with them, they knocked on the door and told the neighbor what happened and that they were very sorry and they would help pay for it with their allowance.  (the apt complex will cover all costs, but the boys don't know that.  lol) 

What did upset me was that the neighbor started screaming at them, calling them punks and jerks.  My boys stood there quietly while he yelled and while I reminded him that they were still pretty young and still learning about being accountable.  He glared at me and told me I needed to teach my kids better.  Now mind you....this is the man who's sons ding dong ditch, flip people off, and key cars in the parking lot.  We thanked him politely for being so understanding and patient with two young, scared boys and helping them learn the value of accountability.  Then we left.

For their punishment, they were grounded from everything for the rest of the weekend, but for their honesty they are not grounded for two weeks and having to do everyone's chores with their own chores.  They will be doing extra jobs around the house to pay for the window (even though the apt complex will pay for it...they still need to learn to make amends) and they learned two very important lessons today:  1.  Do not play rock ball near the buildings.  2.  Even when someone is yelling at you you are the one who is in charge of you and your emotions.  Best to keep them in control and accept that not everyone is going to be as understanding or patient as you want them to be.  lol  (note:  I said "want them to be"....the man was certainly entitled to be angry about the broken window.  However, I had hoped since he wasn't the one who would pay for it and given the age of the boys, he would be stern but teach them the importance of honesty and at least thank them for that.)

Newho...just had to share, I am incredibly proud of them for owning a mistake and being honest.  Lets me know they are growing up right and are going to be some very fine men when they grow up.  :)

**EDIT**

Oh my goodness, I was not expecting so many replies when I got home from work!  lol  Or to be a feature.  O.O  I will try to get back to as many as possible, but I really didn't expect more than just a few responses. lol

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Replies (61-67):
WildLilli
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM
And that man is exactly why so many children, including his own, are not honest with things like this, sounds like you have two amazing little boys on your hands!!
nelsjb
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Job, you are raising two very good young men.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

That is awesome!

Quoting Scinn:

Our "complex" is actually a huge house with 5 apts in it. Our landlord pays insurance for the house and we have renters insurance for like a fire or something but we pay an extra fee in our monthly rent to cover such things. He had 12 kids and all of the tenants have kids so he knows how it goes. That way, if a kid and/or pet destroys something it basically is covered by the insurance fee we pay to him each month. Hence why I don't have to pay for it, after two years of living here without incident, I have basically already paid the cost of the window and do not have to pay it again.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting fliptopz4:

Why wouldn't you have to pay the apartment management back for the repair to the window? I understand they have to fix it but shouldn't you have to fess up to them and pay for it?  Its still was Nice that your boys went to the tenant and apologized.

I agree here though. Where I live if it isn't something that would have happened anyway the person that broke it has to pay for it to be repaired. 

The blinds in my son's room were broken.. We were planning on buying a new set. The maintenance man saw it, and brought over a new set. We were charged for the new set.

CafeMom Tickers
SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Glad they took the truth. Sorry the neighbor was so terrible!
patticoss
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Thank you for raising 2 responsible boy!!! Good job Mom & Dad!!!
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Sounds like you are doing a great job raising them. 

celticgodess
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

We thanked him politely for being so understanding and patient with two young, scared boys and helping them learn the value of accountability.  Then we left.

Love this, LOL  Good for you and your boys for taking the high road!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)