Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Hoping for a Daughter Gives Birth to Her 12th Son

Mom Hoping for a Daughter Gives Birth to Her 12th Son

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

it's a boyI've known many women or men in my day who have their hearts set on a child of a specific sex. They desperately want a girl or are dying for a boy. And sometimes, it doesn't work out the first go 'round, so they try again. Then, on occasion, it doesn't work out the second go 'round, so they try again. Then maybe, if it still hasn't worked out and they still have their hearts set on a son or a daughter, they'll try one more time. And if it doesn't pan out then, seems like they typically call it. Not Kateri and Jay Schwandt. In their quest to have a girl, Kateri just gave birth to their 12th child. And guess what? Like their 11 other babies, he's a boy, too!

Could you imagine?

Tucker Ray Schwandt was born on August 4, and like his 11 older brothers, he was a surprise. "We didn't know what he would be when he was first born," Kateri said. "We don't find out. It's always a boy, but it's always a surprise." Her husband Jay added: "I never imagined I'd be sitting here with my 12th child."

Yes, this little boy is precious and cherished and amazing like their other children, but it's hard to not feel a little bad for the parents here. Especially the mom. Not only is she ridiculously outnumbered, I'm sure there are days when she just wants to buy a dang foo-foo dress and a hair bow. And the noise, oh the noise! If there's one thing little boys are good at, it's running around and making lots of noise! "Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a locker room," Kateri said. Poor woman!

The couple, shockingly, hasn't ruled out trying for one more baby. Maybe the 13th "will be the charm," Jay said. I say go for it. I mean, from a mathematical standpoint, their next kid has to be a girl. Right?

How crazy is this? Did you or your partner have your heart set on either a boy or a girl?

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Replies (11-17):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

CRAZY!!!!!!!We were blessed just to have our only child.

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Sucks for her.
happinessforyou
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I have a family member that has 4 boys.... and wanted a girl so they just kept trying. Ridiculous! You get what you get. I can't imagine that I would ever feel the need to keep having babies until I "got it right".  (?)  I just don't get it.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

WOW!!!

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I Did have a preference. First I wanted a boy, then a girl. I got it both times! Very happy. However, had either been the other sex I would have still been done at 2. No 12 kids for me.
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I saw this, well at least they know what to expect. And clothes will be easy.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I can't believe she's continuing to over populate the world just with the obvious slim hope for a girl. Ugh, I hate people like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)