Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Was it really neglect?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 214 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was reading about the 23 day old baby that died in the hot car while her parents were traveling across the country.

If you arent familiar with the story, last week, a family from Ohio was moving to Oklahoma. They had their toddler and newborn in the car with them. The cars air conditioner didn't work and only one window rolled down. When they were about 30 miles from their destination, they stopped for water at a convenience store and noticed the baby wasn't breathing. They took her into the store, called 911, did CPR but the baby had died. The cause of death is heat related. Both parents were arrested and charged with child neglect.

So here is my question. There are millions of families in the US who cannot afford to have the air conditoners fixed in their cars. They didn't leave the baby in a hot car alone, they were traveling in the car with her.

Should they have been arrested and charged with neglect?

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notomatoes
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this

gee, a new born baby dies in the backseat of the car, and you want to know are they guilty of neglect?

is this supposed to be one of those "new age parenting"questions?? gee, well the child wasnt killed directly by the parents, per se...the newborn was simply left in  a hot car, its not the parents fault the chids brain cooked itself, now is it?? 

momtodab
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
10 moms liked this

Hmmm I dont know what to say or think...all i know is it breaks my heart that another sweet angel is gone. SO many kids are dying these days and people wonder why i am so paranoid with my kids?? 

Ugh i could cry now! :(

cindilou13
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM
9 moms liked this

A baby especially that young can't regulate tempature well yet.   I'm sorry for them but I feel they were neglectful.  Common sense if the windows weren't able to be rolled down then of course it's very hot and no air flow.  I know if I'm feeling the slightest bit warm or cool my kids feel it more extremely than I do. They had to be hot, so why wouldn't they pay special attention the the kids and do whatever it took to ensure their safety?

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM
4 moms liked this

Actually it IS a valid question. There is a lot of debate on both sides of the issue. I simply wanted to know what others in this group thought.

Based upon your not so veiled sarcasm, I take it you think it is neglect. That is all I wanted to know.

Quoting notomatoes:

gee, a new born baby dies in the backseat of the car, and you want to know are they guilty of neglect?

is this supposed to be one of those "new age parenting"questions?? gee, well the child wasnt killed directly by the parents, per se...the newborn was simply left in  a hot car, its not the parents fault the chids brain cooked itself, now is it?? 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I agree. It is heartbreaking that a baby is gone. I just wonder if they could have done more, you know. 

Quoting momtodab:

Hmmm I dont know what to say or think...all i know is it breaks my heart that another sweet angel is gone. SO many kids are dying these days and people wonder why i am so paranoid with my kids?? 

imissmydad51
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

This is a difficult judgment call. I think it is up to the cops and they decided it was. We will have to see what a judge says. I personally think it was accidental however knowing it was so hot and only one window down you would think the parents would of checked on the baby more. I would of however, knowing if it wasSO hot for me it would be worse for my baby. I feel sorry for the baby.

momtodab
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Its hard to say. I mean my baby always moves and talks to me and his siblings. The longest trip we have been on was just around 3 hours and i checked his diapers every hour and i put his big sister who is turning 4 next to him and i would ask her what he was doing every little bit and she would tell me. In my case its hard for me to understand no realizing the baby was so hot! I am a helicopter parent though I hover and that will never change! 

Quoting Reina13:

I agree. It is heartbreaking that a baby is gone. I just wonder if they could have done more, you know. 

Quoting momtodab:

momtodab
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I have to agree with you also. Its a valid point...why not pay more attention...why not idk buy a few cheap ice pack and place next to the baby's wrapped in a blanket I dont know maybe that would be to cold but at least stop and get them out and get air and cool them down. Might take longer but at least the kids would be ok! 

Quoting cindilou13:

A baby especially that young can't regulate tempature well yet.   I'm sorry for them but I feel they were neglectful.  Common sense if the windows weren't able to be rolled down then of course it's very hot and no air flow.  I know if I'm feeling the slightest bit warm or cool my kids feel it more extremely than I do. They had to be hot, so why wouldn't they pay special attention the the kids and do whatever it took to ensure their safety?

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM
7 moms liked this
No, I think this is a very tragic mistake.
AJsMom81507
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

i guess it also depends on how the baby was dressed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)